Creativity Page

Occasionally our podcast listeners share their creative work with us. Enjoy some of it below!

Dear Ones by Jazz Guitarist and Teacher, Joshua Maxey

Listen to Dear Ones by Joshua Maxey

Listen to more of Josh’s music here

Bea Present by Paper Doll Artist, Michele Deiber Kumm

See images of Bea Present’s Meditation Wardrobe!

Art by Sallie Thalhimer

Poem by Robin Leslie Jacobson

Breathing into the Heart

In my dream it is night.
The woman is writing a letter
in the old way of the Mandarin,
brushing watered lampblack onto paper
from the bark and pith of trees.

When she gets to “Love,” she writes
“breathing into the heart,”
the ancient character for “heart”
nestled in the one for “breath”
the way her own heart rests
in the runged V of her ribs.
She watches the brushstrokes bleed
into the pale capillaries of the paper,
changing shape. Outside
a white moth beats itself
against a windowpane.

I wake hours before dawn, wanting
to write it all down, urgent as that moth.
But the cat nestles himself
in the hollow between my breasts,
his body rises and falls
like bellows fanning the small heat
of my heart. He is teaching me
about love–how it is not the frantic beat
of wings against a pane.

I listen to the circle of our breath,
the murmur of my heart–a sound
a little like “Robin, Robin, Robin.”
I think I should be comforted by now
but my shoulder blades flutter and ache
to lift, each cell carrying the vestiges.

Copyright 2007 by the author. All rights reserved.

Comments

6 Responses to “Creativity Page”

1. Thomas Keller on December 11th, 2011 8:13 am

I love your meditations and use them regularily. Particularly the one on Gratitude. I’m a visual artist making paintings and sculptures always Spiritually focused. Peace and love, Thomas Keller

2. Mary on December 12th, 2011 11:29 am

Peace and love back to you, Thomas!

3. Dianne Comeau on September 5th, 2012 11:47 am

Ive benifited tremendously from your meditations. It has changed my life. Thank you so much.. Dianne

4. Mary on September 6th, 2012 9:10 am

You are so welcome, Dianne. It’s so inspiring to hear the meditations have “changed your life”. Thank you for letting us know.

5. Sarad on January 14th, 2013 3:23 am

I LOVE this meditations. For years I have tried guided medition but found it annoying. It was like the ‘guide’ just threw something together without any wisdom in the words they spoke. These meditations are granting me more peace and serenity.
    There are two meditations that I would LOVE to have:
    1) A meditation to use during panic attacks. I suffer severe panic attacks and I’ve tried meditations, home remedies, etc. I think a meditation geared soley for use during a panic attack would be awesome!
    2) A meditation for peace for insecurity(maybe this isn’t something meditation can help with) For example, I have to testify in court as a character witness and I am terrified. These meditations have helped me SO much in the three weeks that I have been using them. I want to mentally and emotionally prepare myself and I feel that if anyone can make a medition to help in both of these cases, it’s Mary!
    Thanks SO much for these. They have been a Godsend and a truly life changing experiece. I thank you from the bottom of my heart! <3

6. Mary on January 14th, 2013 10:06 am

Sarad, you are so very welcome. I’m so glad the meditations are helping. We developed a special program for anxiety and panic. It’s called At Ease and it’s available on the website or as a smartphone app (if you have an Apple or Android phone or tablet). That is the best we have to offer for what you are describing. Also please consider professional help for your panic attacks if you haven’t already tried that. Best wishes.