How to Use this Website

The Meditation Oasis website is here for your exploration, self-discovery and learning. We’ve tried to make it as interactive as possible so that we can hear from you and your experiences and answer your questions. You can ask questions and make comments at the bottom of each page.

Here you will find information about meditation and several ways of learning on your own. We have written instructions on our How to Meditate pages which you can use as a springboard for learning to meditate or for deepening and improving your practice if you already meditate. Many people meditate along with our podcast episodes or with our Meditation CDs.

For those of you who are looking for a more structured learning experience, our Online Meditation Course provides a simple, step-by-step way of learning to meditate on your own.

Our Blog contains posts about various topics, including commentaries on our podcast episodes. You can browse the blog by using the tags in the right side bar of the page or the Site Map which lists the titles of all the blog posts.

Our Podcast is a series of recordings of guided meditations by Mary Maddux and music by Richard Maddux. Visit our Podcast page to listen to them — you can take a meditation break now!

In our Shop you will find our Guided Meditation CDs as well as other CDs and tools for meditation, relaxation and well-being.

Thank you for visiting!

Comments

22 Responses to “How to Use this Website”

1. jennifer mccandless on November 23rd, 2008 8:01 pm

great site!!

2. stacy killion on January 24th, 2010 8:31 am

I am in extreme need of meditation. I am unable to relas due to a lot of strss. My son & I did some sessions together & the helped me a lot. Thank you

3. Mary on January 24th, 2010 10:45 am

You are welcome, stacy. Great that you are doing this with your son. Glad it’s helping!

4. mike on March 24th, 2010 6:17 pm

Thank you.
    Thank you.

5. Mary Ann on May 5th, 2011 7:20 am

Your podcast meditations have helped me deal with medications for a chronic lung disease and other health issues that have me awake. The meditations keep me focused and calm and centered to handle life issues. Each morning I am attracted to a meditation episode that seems to be what I need for the day and times ahead. Thanks for your thoughtful work.

6. Mary on May 5th, 2011 3:52 pm

You are so very welcome, Mary Ann.

7. Siegfried Ehmann on May 19th, 2011 7:15 am

Hi Mary,

your meditations are absolutly fantastic.
    All times, when I feel stressed about my Job or life,
    I go to my place. Put the IPod on, sitting still and
    listen and meditate with your meditations.
    Then I feel much better for the whole day.
    Thanks a lot, Mary.
    Love and greetings from switzerland
    Siegfried

8. Mary on May 19th, 2011 2:48 pm

You are so welcome, Siegfried. Richard and I send love back to you! It means a lot to us to hear of your experience with the meditations. Best wishes!

9. Andrew Stangel on May 13th, 2012 12:08 pm

Mary,
    Thank you for this site. It’s been a great inspiration to me as I start my meditation practice. I especially like your attitude that you can’t make a mistake, it’s all part of the process. I don’t usually write to blogs but I just had to tell you about the experience I had today.

I’ve been meditating for about two months. It’s always a pleasant experience but today something happened that I can only describe as “Oh, my God!” I am quite surprised that this happened this soon after starting my practice. I would have thought that it would have taken a lot longer to get to this stage.

I sat down for my morning session, as usual. I began relaxing my body and focusing on my breath. As often happens, after a while, waves of what might be called a meditative state came over me that lasted from a few seconds to a few minutes.This continued until my half time timer went off ( I need to turn that off. It’s really annoying.). I noted its sound then went back to my breath.

Suddenly, an overwhelming sensation came over me. A sensation that I can only describe, for lack of a better term, as intense gratitude. I don’t know why or what for. I was not trying to do a gratitude meditation or have any other focus except my breath. It was so intense that I strongly felt like I had to pray. This was really strange for me since I am not a religious person and do not believe in a “supreme being.” At first I resisted it. I tried to focus on my breath. The sensation of gratitude and the urge to pray kept getting stronger until I switched focus to prayer. When I say I prayed I don’t mean that I said Hail Marys or something. Frankly, I’m not sure if I know what I mean. The best I can describe it is that I accepted the sensations I was having, took them in, and was grateful for the gratitude I was feeling. The feeling lasted and lasted. When my timer went off after twenty minutes total time I couldn’t stop. I didn’t want to stop. I stayed for perhaps, another ten minutes. When I finally did get up I could’t stop shaking. Even now, as I write this four hours later, I start shaking again as I think about what happened.

And the effects linger. Currently I feel a sensation in my chest. It’s not unpleasant but it’s a bit disconcerting. I have seizures and the feeling is similar to the feeling that I get prior to having a seizure. It’s sometimes called an aura. Although, I am confident that is not going to happen this time.

If I do have a seizure I will have to stop meditating. I have done some research and have seen that there is a body of work that suggests that meditating can trigger a seizure, if not cause one. Though, the overall consensus seems to be that meditating is neutral, if not beneficial for seizure activity. I intend to discuss this with my neurologist at my next appointment. I hope I do not have to stop, especially after what happened today.

I think a problem for me now will be to approach my meditation with an open mind, to let it take me where it wants to go and not try to recreate today’s experience. I know that I have just seen the tip of the iceberg, that I have a lot further to go. But, it’s hard to see how it could get any better than this.

10. Mary on May 13th, 2012 5:41 pm

Andrew, this is a beautiful experience. It sounds like there was some great opening of your heart causing you to experience love and gratitude. True meditation is a happening. We can’t make it happen, and you are very wise to realized that it’s better not to try to recreate today’s experience. It will or won’t happen again, but the happening has created some shift in you that will remain even when you are no longer aware of it.

By all means talk to your neurologist. Hopefully this will not have triggered a seizure but safety first is always a good guideline. Whether or not you continue meditating, paths for growth will open up to you. Best wishes.

11. Andrew Stangel on May 14th, 2012 9:50 am

Mary,
    Yesterday I wrote you about my experience while meditating. Well, Mary, it just doesn’t stop! While my meditation session today was pretty normal, later, right now, in fact. I am writing this as it is happening:

It started while I was thinking about an email I was reading and looking at the plant on my desk. I was enveloped by the same sense of gratitude that I experienced yesterday. I WASN’T EVEN MEDITATING. I am/was also overcome with the same incredible need to express this feeling. To whom or to what I don’t know, I just need to get it out. I think this is what I meant yesterday when I said that I had the overwhelming urge to pray.

Mary, this experience has changed my life. I hope that it never stops. I want it to continue to spontaneously over take me no matter what I am doing or where I am. I want to carry what I am learning about myself into the rest of my life, especially my relationship with my wife and daughter. I tend to be somewhat of a loner and sometimes hide in my office. I want them to know how grateful I am that they are in my life. When I am at work (I’m a cook) I want to produce meals that show the recipient how grateful I am that they would allow me, trust me, to feed them.

While this is an incredibly beautiful experience it is also a bit scary. I had no idea that I could even feel this intensely.

Mary, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. If it were not for you and this website I may have given up on meditating by now and would never have experienced this.

12. Mary on May 14th, 2012 4:32 pm

Andrew, you are so very welcome. It is ALWAYS good to express our gratitude when it comes and a great opportunity to share that with your family. Also helps to keep in mind that no experience lasts forever. All feeling states come and go, so if the feeling fades at some point, do know that you have indeed been transformed and the positive impact of this will always stay with you.

13. josephine on October 11th, 2012 1:31 pm

I need a meditation exercise to help me deal with anxiety and worry which is contributing to my hypertension! I need this like yesterday!!!!

14. Mary on October 12th, 2012 2:34 pm

Josephine, many people with anxiety have been helped with the guided meditations on our free podcast. You can listen to them here: Listen to Our Podcast page. We also have a program called “At Ease — Anxiety & Worry Relief”. It’s available on our website and also as an app for iPhone and Android smartphones.

15. Bart on March 31st, 2013 3:00 pm

Hello
    I am new to meditation when I was meditating I felt like my both hands were filled with a current of electricity flowing through them could you tell me what this is

16. Mary on April 1st, 2013 9:14 am

Bart, it’s impossible through comments on a website to be sure about someone’s experience in meditation, but when you are deeply relaxed in meditation, the energy in the body (or energy field of the body) can start to flow more. That may be what you are feeling. You might enjoy reading my Sensing Energy During Meditation blog post.

17. Peggy on April 22nd, 2013 9:00 pm

Can I use the relaxation meditations on my compter if I don’t have an iphone, ipad, or ipod?
    Thanks

18. Mary on April 23rd, 2013 8:45 am

Peggy, you can listen on our Listen to Our Podcast page — http://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast/listen-to-podcast/

19. Michelle on November 9th, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi, I was just meditating (which I do rarely) and felt a cool, breeze like sensation on my face.

This has happened a few times so I thought I’d stop and google it before I forgot. Is this common?

Also, the weirdest thing is that your website (which i’d never heard of – I’m uk) came up 3rd in the results page and it was actually your app that I was listening to!

Random!!

Thanks

20. Mary on November 10th, 2013 4:57 pm

Love the synchronicity, Michelle! There are all sorts of sensations you can experience during meditation. It is often difficult to know what causes them, but the feeling of a breeze on your face is nothing to worry about :)

21. Amy on July 25th, 2014 9:39 pm

I have a question. Is it bad to meditate too young?
    My friend said if I meditate too young, I will loose desire to do many things. And I will think like an old man very soon. I will not care anything because I think things happen for a reason.

22. Mary on July 26th, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi Amy. It’s great that you are interested in meditation. We can’t really advise you if you are under 18. You should check with your parents if you want to start a meditation practice. But we can say that children can definitely meditate if they do a meditation that is good for children. That would depend on your age. There are many different ways to meditate that have different results. Usually meditation shouldn’t cause you to lose desires and stop caring about things. The right meditation can help you do better and enjoy life more.