Guided Meditation

One form of meditation which has evolved more recently is that of “guided meditations”. In these meditations, either live or recorded, one is voice-guided step-by-step through a meditative experience.

There are many different approaches to guided meditation, and they have different purposes. Some have a very specific purpose, such as healing or self-improvement with goals such as creating prosperity, improving relationships, developing forgiveness or any number of other goals. Other guided meditations are more general, aimed at quieting the mind and producing calmness and relaxation. Some are designed to evoke “higher states of consciousness” or to enliven various aspects of the human energy field (for example, various “chakra” meditations).

Many guided meditations use imagery, either describing very specific images which produce certain experiences, or inviting the listener to allow their own images to appear. Others may be body-focused, for example an instruction in progressive relaxation, or there may be instructions with regard to the use of the breath.

Guided meditations invariably reflect the background and orientation of the “guide”. If a meditation guide has a background with some particular meditation tradition, that will invariably influence the style of guided meditation. They might reflect a particular religious or spiritual tradition, such as Buddhism or Christianity, since meditation in one form or another is a practice in most religions.

Meditation can be an invaluable tool for creating health and well-being, as well as personal and spiritual growth. Some people will learn practices they can use on their own, but for others, meditating with a guide may be most effective. Even those with a regular meditation practice can benefit from various forms of guided meditation.

Being guided allows for an effortlessness that may be difficult to achieve on one’s own.

Our Guided Meditations

Our guided meditations are easy to do and suitable for people from many different backgrounds.  They do not reflect a particular religion or spiritual tradition. Instead, they are universal in their style and expression. To learn more about our approach, visit Our Philosophy. You may listen to some guided meditations on our free podcast, or purchase one of our guided meditation CDs.

Learn to meditate on your own — our Online Meditation Course

To learn to meditate on your own, consider our Online Meditation Course. It will help you discover your natural ability to meditate. Guided meditations are at the core of the course, giving you the experience of meditation from day one. The course is designed in such a way that by the end of four weeks you will have all you need to meditate on your own.

Comments

17 Responses to “Guided Meditation”

1. Anin on November 5th, 2008 7:09 am

I love the podcasts, I listen to them almost every day. New podcasts often come into my life at just the right time. In the last eight months I have experienced several significant losses (including the death of my father) which have been easier to deal with because of the podcasts. One loss however, related to an individual who used the services of my company for six months and then refused to pay. The financial loss was large for my small company and put a very significant strain on my company and my family life. We have yet to recover financially. I have been struggling with forgiveness and wondered if you could do a guided meditation on the topic of forgiveness. I use your “letting go” meditation now, but think that forgiveness has a special healing dimension to it.

2. Mary on November 5th, 2008 10:33 am

Hello Anin,
    We’re so glad the podcasts are helping. Thanks for the request for a meditation on forgiveness. There’s a good possibility I will do such a meditation as I’ve been thinking about it for some time. In the meantime, another one you might try is the Emotional Ease Meditation. I feel the key to forgiveness is being able to feel completely the hurt that someone or something has caused. My sense is that not forgiving is a way of not allowing the pain in all the way.

I’m glad you brought this up — I’d like to explore this in a new blog post soon!

3. Felicia on June 19th, 2009 4:26 pm

I too really enjoy the meditations. I was diagnosed with chronic insomnia, and one of the things my sleep specialist suggested was meditation/guided imagery. I was very doubtful, but it really works! I am now sleeping about 6 and a half hours versus the 2 or 3 hours I was getting.

Please keep posting new podcasts, especially the ones with music and voice and ones with music only.

4. Mary on June 19th, 2009 6:50 pm

Great news, Felicia! We plan to continue publishing more podcast episodes.

We do have a special Sleep Easy meditation (mp3 or CD) available for purchase as well.

Best wishes.

5. Stephanie Borrelli on April 28th, 2010 2:31 pm

Since I have found you, you come to bed with me every night!! Downloaded you to my I Phone…

Love you!!
    Blessings abound….

6. Mary on April 28th, 2010 3:13 pm

What sweet words, Stephanie… Love to you too!

7. Days 83 & 84: Guided Meditation :: 6 Petal Crafts on April 16th, 2012 6:39 am

[…] be so relaxing and powerful. If you are new to this form of mediating, you can find out more at the Meditation Oasis and My Own Healing Power. Both sites offer wonderful information and […]

8. Maria Smargiassi on August 13th, 2012 3:04 pm

Dear Mary
    I get your Podcast and really enjoy your Deep Rest Meditation, I am wondering why you don’t have a Sleep Meditation for adults
    Many thanks for your wonderful work
    Kind regards
    Maria

9. Mary on August 14th, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello Maria, you are welcome. We’re glad you’re enjoying the podcast. Many people use our Deep Rest and other meditations for sleep. For those who need more help, we’ve developed an app called iSleep Easy and we have a Sleep Easy CD with a sleep meditation.

10. Emily on January 7th, 2013 7:06 pm

Dear Mary,

I listen to your podcast almost every night. Your voice is so calming and relaxing, I can’t sleep without you anymore. I love it when you let me focus on different bodyparts, it keeps my mind occupied. I was just wondering if you are making any new meditations for the podcast. It’s so easy to download on my iPhone. I also love your app by the way. You could say I’m a really big fan ;). Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Emmily

11. Mary on January 8th, 2013 10:13 am

Emily, always great to hear from a “big fan” ;-) Yes, there will be new meditations, but it may not be for a couple months. In the meantime of course, repeating your favorite meditations has a lot of value as they start to become second nature.

12. Paul Johnson on March 23rd, 2014 9:03 am

I have just started to meditate and really like your Relax and Rest app for my iPad. I struggle but will keep trying to quiet my mind and rest.

I would like to know if you plan have longer guided meditations. I would love to have a 30 minute guided meditation added to the app..

Thanks…Paul

13. Mary on March 27th, 2014 9:25 am

Paul, we don’t have a plan to add a longer meditation to the app. We do have some longer meditations on our free Meditation Oasis podcast which you can find on iTunes or the Listen to Our Podcast page of this website. Try also reading through some of the information on our website — such as the Difficulty Meditating page. You don’t need to work to quiet your mind and rest — quite the opposite. You can actually feel at rest even with a busy mind.

14. Jackie on April 19th, 2014 8:40 am

I purchased the Simply Being guided meditation course from the Apple App Store a few days ago but although it shows it as “open” I can’t access it and it does not appear on my homepage. What to do?

15. Mary on April 19th, 2014 9:44 am

Jackie, if you tap “Open” it will open the app. Also, there is more than one page on your iPhone or iPad. You need to swipe the homepage to the left to see other pages. The icon is probably on another page. Please let us know if you have further questions.

16. Mind Power on April 22nd, 2014 12:35 am

Thanks for the post about guided meditation. Atm i’m learning stuff about law of attraction.

What do you think about brainwave entrainment? It is like listening to frequencies while meditating do you think it has a positive effect on meditation or not ?

thanks in advance
    Tom

17. Mary on April 22nd, 2014 11:04 am

My main interest is in our natural, human ability to meditate. I haven’t experimented with binaural beats, brainwave entrainment as I feel so often technology is based on partial knowledge which can have unintended consequences. The brain and human nervous system are so complex and we know so little. My personal experience with meditation and what I’ve seen with others is so satisfactory that I don’t see a need for such aids. That isn’t to say that there aren’t a lot of things you can do to make meditation deeper, but they don’t rely on technology.