Is meditation making me irritable?

January 9, 2013

Ideally meditation will make us less, not more irritable, but sometimes people do find that irritability or other uncomfortable experiences come up when they begin mediation. I just answered a question from Danielle who is having this problem. The question and answer are worth posting, as it’s much easier to find articles about the benefits of meditation than about the challenges that may come along.

Q (from Danielle who recently started meditating):

“The past week I feel I’m more irritated than I usually am, mostly about other people. Is it possible that meditation makes you more sensitive to sounds, noise, etc? Have you heard it before that people become more irritated in a time where they meditate? Of course it is possible that other issues in my life attribute to this feeling. Do you have a suggestion or should I just let it be?”

A:  “There could be a number of reasons that you are feeling more irritable and you will need to experiment with and explore them to see what is happening. As you say, it could be issues in your life and not have to do with the meditation. Some people become irritable when under stress. If it is related to the meditation, I can think of three possibilities:

1 – You are coming out of meditation too quickly. If you get deep into meditation and then come out really fast, it can cause a headache or irritability. Always take time to come out of meditation slowly.

2 – Sometimes emotions that are under the surface can come up in the deep relaxation of meditation. We may become more aware of things that we are feeling. This ties in with the life issues. You may be more aware of how you are feeling about things, perhaps something that you are angry about, or it could even been some stored anger from the past. In either case, let the feeling be there in meditation, letting go if you notice resistance. When you are out of meditation, see if you can find the source of the irritation.

3 – You are straining in meditation. Ideally meditation is effortless, or you develop the habit of backing off when you realize you are trying too hard. It could make you irritable if you are making too much effort.”

I asked Danielle to keep me posted on what she discovers as she explores these possibilities. I’d love to hear from you if you have had similar experiences or challenges with meditation.

Comments

57 Responses to “Is meditation making me irritable?”

1. Peter on January 11th, 2013 1:26 am

I have had a similar thing…. This is one possible answer.

Meditation helps us to see the truth right?
    So when u can see the truth of nature and you start to develop wisdom interacting in the world can become at first more irritating because now you can see the truth and it can make u irritated. However this is part of the practice, to see the truth of nature and see truth about people and the way the world works with all the evil, bad and foolish things and without getting irritated this is the real practice.

2. Mary on January 11th, 2013 5:26 pm

Peter, thanks for adding your perspective. It is possible that the clarity brought by meditation could cause us to see things we didn’t before. I don’t feel, however, that the goal of meditation is not to get irritated with anything. It’s natural that some things are irritating to us, and to me meditation is about being natural and accepting that!

3. Steph on January 12th, 2013 9:14 am

I have noticed a similar happening since establishing a regular meditation routine. I relate it to all these underlying mental patterns and thoughts I was previously unaware of and now are very aware of. Its frustrating at times to be so aware of them and watch myself (either in the moment or retrospectively) get pulled into them. Makes me irritable to watch this occurance……has anyone else had similar experiences? And if so, what did you do?
    Namaste, Steph

4. Mary on January 12th, 2013 10:23 am

Steph, We all have mental patterns and thoughts we’d rather not have and the resistance to them and rejection of them causes suffering. Hopefully meditation will ultimately bring increasing acceptance and ease with ourselves and with “what is”. It may depend a lot on the style of meditation you are doing how easily this will happen.

5. Wendy on January 12th, 2013 11:26 am

I experience irritation on occasion as well. For me, it is often a result of my monkey brain not wanting to quiet down, or a discovery of an emotion I was being too busy to want to see. In all cases, I accept this feeling as well and welcome it in. Some days are easier than others. So glad you brought this up Mary as I wondered if it was just me.

6. Mary on January 12th, 2013 2:33 pm

Wendy, have you noticed that sometimes your monkey brain is going and yet it doesn’t irritate you? Could be irritation comes up sometimes and we just pin it on to something (monkey brain, noise) whereas it’s just there because of the state of our nervous system that day or something being “released”. There are so many possibilities, but in any case you’re right about acceptance. I think of it not so much as an act of acceptance as a dropping of resistance. Great experience to explore!

7. Sarad on January 17th, 2013 1:47 am

At first when using the mini-break on my break at work, I found myself going back to work and being UBER pissed and annoyed for no reason whatsoever and the nights that I didn’t use the meditation, I wouldn’t be so crabby. I couldn’t understand why. I figured that it would be something that would pass and it has. I figured that it was just because it was something new. Try sticking with it for a little while longer. Mary’s meditations have been an INCREDIBLE experience and I am SO grateful for them! It’s made meditation SO productive, something that I wasn’t truly getting from any meditation in the past. I thought guided meditation just wasn’t for me but as it turns out lousy guided meditations aren’t for me! lol. I have found Mary’s meditations to be truly life changing. After three weeks(about 3 meditations a week) I’m already finding it easier to ground myself and calm myself. I hope that, in time, I will be able to control my anxiety completely. THANK YOU SO MUCH MARY!!!!!!!!! <3

8. Mary on January 17th, 2013 10:17 am

Sarad, so glad you stuck with the meditations long enough to get to this place. It is possible that the deep relaxation you experienced in the meditation started releasing some stress or that something under the surface came up at first (to be cleared out). But also, do make sure to take time coming out of meditation, especially when there is an intense experience. If you have extra time and irritability is there, you can lie down and rest (or sit with eyes closed) and simply feel the irritation in your body. That helps it dissolve. Also, you can try the Relief from Stress & Pressure meditation for that. And — last but not least — you are so welcome!

9. Gregg on February 14th, 2013 10:38 am

Why isn’t anyone looking into the science of this like the amygdala or limbic system?

10. Mary on February 14th, 2013 1:24 pm

Gregg, There has been quite a lot of research about meditation and its effects on the brain. I’m sure you can find some with a search online.

11. Adam on March 21st, 2013 11:31 pm

I notice that if I try to listen to a guided meditation on the bus, it helps me relax, but sometimes when I finish, I start to notice how annoying people are around me. The Polish woman with her mobile phone playing the radio loudly, the African teenagers having a loud conversation and being rambunctious, the British guy with the cheap headphones playing music loudly. Ugh! Maybe the issue is that here I am being all peaceful and quiet, and there are inconsiderate people making noise all around me. Perhaps I should just do meditation at home where it’s quiet?

12. Mary on March 22nd, 2013 9:14 am

Adam, it’s always preferable to meditate where it is quiet, although it is possible to meditate in the midst of noise. The trick is to not focus on the noise, not resist it. You may find yourself reacting to it (irritability, being startled, etc.) but then the trick is to let that reaction be there. It’s all part of the meditation. If you are relaxed throughout the whole meditation, and only feel the annoyance at the end, it may be that you are coming out of meditation too quickly. That can make you irritable even in the quietest of environments!

13. Shawn on April 27th, 2013 2:19 pm

I had a similar problem when I started meditating. I think I identified with the third problem. I was trying really hard, and I don’t think I was really getting into a flow state of meditation. I was relaxing, but I was trying to “get somewhere” each time that I meditated. I was in a hurry to feel like I was getting results. This anxiousness carried over into my life and made me slightly more irritable. I had to find some more guided meditations that specifically taught me to just relax and accept the thoughts that go on in my head.
    Thanks for this article!

14. Mary on April 27th, 2013 5:09 pm

Shawn, yes accepting the thoughts is key! You are welcome.

15. Ashleigh on May 28th, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello all,

I thought it was worth mentioning that occasionally, during mindfulness meditation, I feel extreme irritability. The irritability is not only emotional, but is inside of my body – my legs, especially. I feel like I need to fail my limbs about to get rid of it, even though I trying to be very still (…perhaps the problem?)! However, unlike Danielle, this experience is limited to during meditation as I do not feel this way afterwards (a part from the very odd attack of restless legs). I have wondered if, on those rare occasions, this feeling is due to resistance to meditation. In any case, hope my experience sheds a little more light.

Best regards,
    Ashleigh

16. Rajeev on May 28th, 2013 10:27 pm

Came across this very useful blog. I have been meditating for years now and feel the are certain meditations which make me feel irritated. These are more of the deeper meditations , such as being the witness, etc. I feel I normally feel All right if I have a quick nap after meditation. Think it has to do with relaxation as Mary says. Also feel a lot of repressed emotions tend to come out during meditation. This is in fact one of the main functions of meditation … To get things out which have been suppressed.. I am though continung my meditation though have decreased the meditation

17. Mary on May 29th, 2013 1:07 pm

Ashleigh, thanks for sharing your experience. The irritability and restlessness can have so many different sources. You would need to explore this within yourself or perhaps with a local teacher to see for sure what is happening. There may indeed be resistance, but it may be to the feeling of restlessness and the desire not to stay with that. You might see if you can allow your attention to be fully with the physical sensations of restlessness.

, but not so much to meditation as to what you are experiencing in meditation. Perhaps there is resistance to the restlessness itself.

18. Mary on May 29th, 2013 1:10 pm

Repressed emotions definitely can come up during meditation and it does provide a way for them to be released. Sometimes the irritability is because of that. Sometimes it does help to reduce meditation time in order to pace the release and stay balanced and grounded. Thanks for sharing!

19. Saul on May 30th, 2013 1:19 am

Thank you for addressing this issue. I’m at my wits’ end with irritation a few hours after meditating. Previously for several hours after meditating I would be blissed out, loving and accepting of others, but now I’m the opposite. It’s possibly due to a change in technique or focus or intensity, but it could also be my egotism manifesting: I am irritated by other people or the state of the world or even myself because they/we do not conform to my ideals or fantasies. All temporary and part of the process of learning and growing I suppose, but it’s most uncomfortable! If I could take or give advice, it would be “just observe, breathe, and let go – it will pass”. Easier said than done!

20. Mary on May 30th, 2013 9:08 am

You are welcome, Saul. Unfortunately, many of us grew up feeling it wasn’t OK to feel irritated and angry. There’s a “spiritual culture” that reinforces this idea as well, placing a premium on feeling happy and loving. Of course, we all enjoy those feelings the most, but the energy of anger is part of the fabric of the human experience. The more we are able to accept it, experience it fully, the less it causes disturbance for us. From my point of view, it’s a great strength that you are able to feel and see those feelings in yourself. I suspect that if you can surrender to the irritation, not resisting it and judging yourself for it, that energy of irritation will be able to pass through you and resolve. You also might want to try our Guided Meditation for Anger (on our Listen to Our Podcast page).

21. Saul on May 30th, 2013 8:05 pm

Thank you so much Mary for sharing your insight and providing guidance. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to respond from your spirit. I find it so difficult to accept or deal with anger, whether my own or others’, so I will definitely listen to your guided meditation on anger. Thanks again :-)

22. Mary on May 31st, 2013 1:17 pm

You are welcome, Saul. Let us know how it goes.

23. HimJoy on June 19th, 2013 4:57 am

I have felt acute irritability after following meditation for about a month. I have never been this intolerant before. Sometimes I want to cry and at other times listless. Wonder if I am doing something wrong ! I no longer feel the peace that I felt initially. May be meditating at night time is not a good idea. I don’t know.

24. Mary on June 19th, 2013 9:44 am

HimJoy, does it seem like anything I wrote in reply to Danielle (in the above post) might apply to you?

25. LostinAsia on July 18th, 2013 9:00 am

I think it’s extremely important to make sure people understand that they are not doing anything wrong and the practice is working.

Meditation can and does, bring up an infinite variety of stuff. One of these is of course anger or irritation and impatience. It’s a good sign. It shows that the medicine is working. It’s very important to stick with it and work through the bumps. Don’t judge them, and more importantly don’t judge yourself. Others will be cruel and insensitive “meditation is suppose to make you peaceful and happy, your doing it wrong!” Ignore these ignorant and rude people. Keep your self esteem up, and more importantly keep up your practice.

All composite phenomena changes. This challenge is no different. It will not last. Don’t be attached to it, and by the same token don’t be attached to the blissful, peaceful, one with the universe phases that will also pass. Watch them all come, stay for a while, and move along on their own accord. Nothing to do, nowhere to go.

26. ten on August 16th, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi mary, I have question about meditation im new to this 5 months ago I was sitting with cross legs and trying to relax my mind first of all I have lot of thoughts then after a couple of minutes it clears my mind, I started first feeling tingling sensations in my hands and legs and then i felt a huge floating sensation, after that I cant feel my hands and legs and then my heart beats become slower and slower I felt like my heart was trying to stop beating and it is hard to breathe. I feel like im going to die or leaving my body. so all I did is to stop. I dont know what happen, and also I feel the tingling sensation in my forehead, felt like someones pushing it. So I decided to stop meditate. those day I develop sensitivity to sound and light depends on the weather. that day I feel like I’m new with this planet. and also I develop sense of smell sometimes i can smell flowers and candles with no apparent reason. everything is change on me.

27. Mary on August 17th, 2013 1:28 pm

Ten, It sounds like you’re having some very deep experiences with meditation. The best thing would be for you to have some personal guidance. See if you can find a teacher of meditation in your local area who is knowledgeable.

28. Serge on August 24th, 2013 9:43 pm

Great to find this topic! I feel the same as various people commenting here. I think i get irritated because people around me suddenly seem like they are wasting their time suffering and getting mad for things that now i comprehend are not so important.

I feel meditation has changed my perspective of life, but at the same time makes me feel a bit more anti social.

29. Mary on August 26th, 2013 9:42 am

Serge, it’s hard to say. This may be a temporary phase you go through as meditation gives you a new perspective on things. It could also be some irritability coming up as the deep rest of meditation “purifies” your system. In that case, the irritability can focus on a lot of different things. Best wishes.

30. Ishbir on October 1st, 2013 2:27 am

Hi. Love this site. Found answers to many questions here. I come from a very religious and spiritual family, but recently I have taken my personal journey and meditation seriously and my life has taken me in this direction. There is a long story here, so please bear with me.

My wife and I were attacked by demonic spirits and it took an immense amount of praying and guidance from others in order to solve the problems. My wife is able to see spirits and since getting married she sees the more questionable type of spirits. A lot of the experiences we endured happened in our bedroom; this is where I meditate. We have developed a fear of the dark and I wanted to conquer this fear, so with only a candle I have claimed back the dark.

Our experiences have pushed me down the path of necessity, where feel I need to increase my spiritual strength and happiness in order to protect my family, and the children we want to have. This is why I have taken my spirituality more seriously. Recently, I have noticed that i have become more irritated and short fused with my family where previously I would have been a lot more patient. I am misinterpreting comments causing me to over-react.

I am greatly paraphrasing our experiences, but my question is this: could meditating open me up to negative energy (demonic spirits) which would cause an increase in my anger (which I used to be able to keep in check).

I don’t know if this is a forum where I can post this, so apologies if this is inappropriate.

31. Mary on October 1st, 2013 10:17 am

Ishbir, the way we perceive things, and the way we interpret them, depends a great deal on the spiritual concepts with which we were raised and the culture we grow up in. We actually see things through a filter of our beliefs. The viewpoint that is behind our meditations does not include the idea of demonic spirits, so it is difficult to answer your question. We do feel that meditation can open us up to feelings within ourselves that we were not aware of, but we wouldn’t say that something “outside” ourselves is causing that.

32. Eve on January 13th, 2014 1:14 am

I also feel extremely sensitive since meditating. I was sensitive before, but now its ten times worse! Everthing seems to annoy me, especially other people, and my control issues and righteousness seemed to have increased, not decreased as I thought they would with meditating! However I have been told that this is due to stress release through the practice. I won’t give it up because although ‘bad’ experiences seem to have heightened, meditation also amplifies positive feelings such as bliss – so when I am happy, I am really happy…and when I’m sad, I’m really sad. I would still rather be the person I am when meditating because I am truly experiencing all the ups and downs that life has to offer, and although its a challenge, I know I am really living, and no longer ‘numb’ to things (which is what I think stress can do to you over time, create a shield whereby you don’t properly experience the world). You just have to take the bad with the good, because when the good comes along its really worth it!

33. Mary on January 13th, 2014 10:57 am

Eve, this all makes sense. Meditation does make us more aware and alive, and can amplify both the “good and the bad”. There may be some ways, though, to lessen the irritability. As the post says, you can take more time coming out of meditation. Also physical exercises, stretching and the like can help smooth things out. It sounds like you have a teacher, and you might ask about that.

34. Maggs on January 30th, 2014 10:07 am

Hi
    I just wondered if its ok to meditate in the late evening As a married woman, it’s not always possible to do it first thing in the morning. So what I do, when I’m back in the house, I will meditate from 6.00 to 6.45pm., and I will do it for 15 mins max. At that time of the evening, the house is not yet ‘filled’ so I have some and quiet.
    Thanks

35. Mary on January 31st, 2014 10:26 am

Maggs, that is a great time to meditate. It’s a chance to clear the stress from the day and start the evening fresh. Bottom line, though, is to find what works for you!

36. Sarah M on February 7th, 2014 1:09 am

Lost in Asia- THANK YOU! … And of course, I am thankful for Mary’s sage guidance.

37. Mary on February 7th, 2014 10:14 am

Lost in Asia?

38. sparkles on February 9th, 2014 5:46 am

Mary, one of the previous poster’s ID.

39. Mary on February 9th, 2014 10:44 am

sparkles — Thanks. Yes, that was a great comment!

40. Alexandra on February 19th, 2014 11:48 am

Hi Mary. I’m experiencing a few odd things during meditation and not quite sure what they may mean. Everytime I get into meditative State, within about 5 minutes and see very strange bright swirling colors, and sometimes I feel like my body swirls too. I seem to feel my hands grow large as well. Last night I focused on my third eye and i experienced a huge flicker that felt as if my third eye was actually opening (or so I think). I felt strangely anxious yet overjoyed, that I began to laugh. I feel extremely off today and almost as if something bad will happen soon. Thanks for taking time to read :)

41. Mary on February 19th, 2014 2:24 pm

Alexandra, I am answering with an email.

42. Sharon on March 30th, 2014 11:22 pm

I was 16, sharing a small room with my sister, and was meditating with my back against the door. My sister came back from wherever she was and knocked gently on the door. I said “I’m meditating give me a minute.” No sooner had I spoken the words than my stepmom pounded the door really hard – it reverberated through my whole body in this extremely harsh, jarring way and left me with a headache for hours afterward. I never made that mistake again!

43. Mary on March 31st, 2014 4:58 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, Sharon. In the deep relaxation of meditation, you are much more sensitive to something like that. Best to do all you can to avoid being disturbed!

44. Rehab Centre on April 27th, 2014 4:44 pm

Irritable? I’ve been comig out of meditation absolutely enraged! So thanks for this article.

This article has been useful is 3 ways.
    1) I’m coming out way too fast.
    2) My focus has been on “getting somewhere” and not letting it happen.
    3) There’s an unaddressed issue. Someone I’ve been struggling to talk to. I need to do that, today.

45. Mary on April 28th, 2014 9:15 am

Rehab Centre – What an insightful response to the article! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

46. lisa on May 15th, 2014 3:55 pm

I can totally empathise with this. After 3 years of stress after being made redundant from a high paid job, juggling 3 very small children and changing to a job working 12 hour shifts I needed to find a way to cope. I found Mary’s app. My saviour. In the day I was fine but I used a different meditation app for sleep, for about 3 nights I woke up extremely irritable, my legs itching and restless and could fall out with the world. After 3 nights and using Mary’s asleep, I have never slept as well. My husband has also been experiencing extreme stress so played the isleep aloud whilst we both fell asleep. The next morning he too had the most horrendous irritability. I have come to the conclusion that it’s the body’s way of fighting the abnormal relaxation state after a prolonged period of stress. He has promised to try meditation before bedtime again this weekend. I’m sure he well feel like I do. Saved!

47. Mary on May 16th, 2014 9:24 am

lisa, it’s great to hear that the iSleep Easy app has helped. Thanks for sharing your story!

48. Derek922010 on May 26th, 2014 10:15 pm

I am also having these problems… I see the flickering lights in my eyes… when I am still for too long, I even get this warm tingly feeling every time I breathe in and out… my intuition is slowly, but surely getting stronger.. I always think before I react to something.. like I stop and observe what’s going on and decide to not be angry although its an option. What does this mean?

49. Mary on May 27th, 2014 1:56 pm

Derek, in order for someone to go into your experiences in this kind of depth, you really need to meet with a meditation teacher. Perhaps you can find someone local who can help you. Good luck.

50. Anna on June 24th, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Mary, I’m happy to hv found this site after a lot of search.  I realise that my irritation is because I’m coming out too soon from the meditation.  Another issue, is that after a few days of regular practice, I start recollecting my past my old boyfriend – it was purely platonic – but affected the early days of married life as my hubby was distressed upon hearing abt my ex. After a few days of meditation, I begin to feel dat I had not closed that chapter off with my ex -suddenly without any trigger – my mind remembers the time v were together. When I take a break fm d meditation these memories fade away – to resurface when I resume practice of meditation. That time I feel there’s no guilt in contacting n communicating with ex – though my rational mind holds me bk fm taking that step (it wd affect my family life v. Badly if I was to contact ex). Am afraid abt these memories n rather avoid any trouble -so though I know the benefits of meditation, am discouraged by these recurring memories whe-never I resume practicing. Pls guide me! P S : ( kindly use name Anna in ur response, pls keep name confidential!)

51. Mary on June 24th, 2014 11:27 am

Anna, just so you know, Anna is the only name we see. It’s true that unresolved things can come up to the surface when we meditate. They are asking for attention. If it’s something not easily resolved on your own (by exploring the feelings within yourself), it can be helpful to seek advice of some sort of counsellor. Good luck with it.

52. Tommy on October 18th, 2014 7:41 pm

Hey, I seem to get quite angry and moody throughout the day. Is this part of the meditation process? I feel very vulnerable to my emotions, is that meant as a gateway to true enlightenment?

53. Mary on October 19th, 2014 3:22 pm

Tommy, I don’t know what type of meditation you are doing. It would probably help for you to consult a teacher in person who can go into your experience with you. It is possible that meditation will get you in touch with emotions that were under the surface, but your shouldn’t have to spend a lot of your day feeling angry and moody.

54. navneet chopra on November 14th, 2014 7:15 am

I am meditating for a long time – several years. And I do have good meditation sessions at times… when only I-ness remains, with no intrusion of thoughts or emotions …And I do feel relaxed and ‘distant’ (form the emotional stimulations, personal worries – to certain extent) – at least for some minutes or hours until world again takes me up with some events… I have never been meditative enough to remain untouched by some personal comment, negative judgment or abusive word towards me. But yes, I do become hyper-sensitive – much more spontaneous – to interact with people (which normally too I am – i.e spontaneous), to laugh, to weep and cry and to boom – getting angry – my anger just shots up with a small irritant (esp. an irritating person) exposed to me… and I get sort of ASOCIAL – being quite explicit about my comments or reactions while moving in society, which are genuine but might be also ‘offensive’ – the intention though was never to hurt but to express whatever I felt genuinely… This is typically dangerous against influential people like your boss…!!!

My central concern is with anger. Why do I feel almost terrible anger in those days when I am ‘in-meditation’? But I also want to express that in these days, in the absence of an irritant, I am relaxed, happy, serene, somewhat detached as well… and my concentration power is also excellent at such times (I am a student/tutor of philosophy which requires intense concentration…!)

55. navneet chopra on November 14th, 2014 8:02 am

And yes, I meditate for around 45 minutes to 60 min. or more. Is this more than limits and is straining my mind/brain?

I also have undergone Goyenka’s Vipassana meditation camp (in March 2007, so more than 7 years ago), where for 10 days one is not supposed to talk with others, and is expected to indulge in meditation for the whole day – I sometimes went for 6- 8 hours per day. On the 6th and then 8th day (as i remember) I got the ‘vikhand’ state – where the whole body is experienced as the composed of vibrations all over… (I was told that it is an advanced stage).

Well, it was not that I was doing meditation for the first time in this camp. Before this camp, for years I have been doing meditation – by watching my breath through the nostrils.

Since these experiences of the camp, I use to feel vibrations in my whole body – sort of as if I am oscillating within my body… when I am standing or when I am walking .. sometimes I even experience loosing control over my arms and hands, striking with the objects I move through…

Have I taken ‘overdose’ of meditation, which has strained my nervous system and hence all these symptoms?

56. Mary on November 14th, 2014 10:46 am

navneet, try the Guided Meditation for Anger on our Listen to Our Podcast page and see if that helps with anger.

57. Mary on November 14th, 2014 10:50 am

navneet, you have extensive experience with meditation, but not in the style we use on this website. I would recommend that you find a meditation teacher for a personal consultation. Perhaps there is someone in your local area who could advise you. It might also be helpful to explore within yourself what your goal is in meditating — what do you hope to accomplish. Are you looking for some special experience in meditation or for benefits in your daily life?