Healthy Body Guided Meditation

September 6, 2012

Our new podcast meditation is designed to help you visualize a healthy body. Many people have requested this, each with a different angle. Many wanted to visualize a specific goal. While I allowed time at the beginning of the meditation  for people to set a goal, I created a meditation focused on the health of the body as a whole. This is like watering the root of a plant to benefit the whole plant, rather than focusing on any one part.

This Healthy Body Guided Meditation targets the core systems of the body which bring oxygen, nutrition and energy to the cells — the heart, lungs, and digestive systems. Strengthening those supports the health of all of the other parts of the body and can help the body with healing. Simply putting your attention on your body brings energy to it. You can use this meditation to enjoy a sense of well-being and enliven your body.

As with all of my meditations which involve visualization, be easy about the process. You don’t need to follow every word or see everything clearly. You can simply sense something in a vague way. The important thing is not to strain to follow the meditation. Let it unfold in a way that is natural for you. Whatever comes to mind as you try to visualize or sense something is just the right thing for you at that time.

Of course, simply visualizing good health and healing is not enough. For a healthy body, we need a healthy diet, exercise, enough sleep and so on. For healing, it may be necessary to see a health care provider and use appropriate therapies. But visualization can play a big role in moving the body toward health, partly by helping us tune in to our body, listen to its needs and do what is needed to be healthy.

To learn more about visualization, read Dr. Andrew Weil’s article on Guided Imagery — http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00468/Guided-Imagery-Therapy-Dr-Weil.html

For more on my approach to visualization, read this blog post — Intuitive Visualization in Meditation

Comments

14 Responses to “Healthy Body Guided Meditation”

1. Andy on September 6th, 2012 8:42 pm

Nice to have an update from you Mary, been a while! I’ll try this meditation tonight and let you know how I get on. I feel I’ve been in need of a good chakra cleanse lately so hopefully this will do the trick

2. Mary on September 7th, 2012 9:47 am

Andy, do let us know how it works for you. The meditation doesn’t specifically focus on the chakras, but may be just the right thing for what you need! Also, you can always listen to the chakra meditation.

3. Mikelle Hebeka on September 15th, 2012 12:46 pm

Thank you for this amazing meditation. The timing could not be better for me. I hope that things are beautiful in Meditation Oasis land and that you know how much you mean to your listeners :)

4. Mary on September 16th, 2012 10:29 am

So glad you’re enjoying this meditation, Mikelle. It’s wonderful when life brings us what we need at the right time! And yes, things are beautiful at the moment in “Meditation Oasis land” ;-)

5. Sara on October 5th, 2012 8:10 am

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for the gorgeous mediation – reconnecting to my postpartum body has been an interesting journey for me, so it was quite timely that you happened to post this. My baby already loves meditation thanks to our weekly practice led by your voice. Keep up the amazing work!

6. Mary on October 5th, 2012 9:31 am

How sweet to hear about you and your baby! You are so very welcome.

7. Nikolay on December 17th, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi Mary, speaking about healing. Is it possible through concentration/meditation to heal some one? Other then your self. Do you know anything of that?

8. Mary on December 18th, 2012 10:37 am

Nikolay, no one heals anyone else or even themselves. Healing happens as part of life. But, we may be an active participant in the event of healing as well. That may sound like a paradox, and so much about healing is! You can read through our Heart of Healing website to learn more about my perspective on healing. If you have the impulse to help someone else heal, by all means follow it!

9. Marcelle on December 26th, 2012 7:23 am

Thank you so much for your podcasts. I’ve been meditating consistently twice a day for 105 days in a row now, about twenty minutes each time. I found your pod casts about a month ago and will often use them three or four times during the week when the scurry of life makes it difficult to clear my mind without a little “help from a friend.” Thanks for standing in that role for me! Blessings on your work and than you for wonderful podcasts.

10. Mary on December 26th, 2012 10:38 am

You are very welcome, Marcelle. I’m glad the podcast meditations can give you that extra little help when you need it. Congratulations on the regular meditation. I’m sure it is paying off!

11. Jan on January 29th, 2013 7:41 am

Thank you for this amazing meditation!

12. Mary on January 29th, 2013 9:25 am

You are welcome, Jan!

13. Ruth on February 26th, 2013 3:12 am

Thank you for this meditation. I have a chronic health condition which I manage by staying as fit as possible, eating healthily and by using your gorgeous guided meditations.

Would you ever consider a meditation to help people who know they should be exercising but just need some encouragement or a way to overcome the blocks to exercise? Or do you recommend any of your meditations for encouraging one to actively get/stay fit?

14. Mary on February 26th, 2013 9:44 am

You are welcome, Ruth. Sometimes regular meditation can help us take better care of ourselves as our minds become clearer and we become more in tune with our bodies. I can add this idea to the request list, but it is very long and I’m not sure I would get to it. There might be something for that in the field of hypnotherapy. Best wishes.