Body Balance Meditation

July 7, 2011

This latest podcast meditation came about when I became aware of how much easier it was for me to sense the right side of my body than the left. I was doing a body scan and when I noticed this difference in perception of the two sides, I began experimenting with favoring the signals coming from the left side. The result was a pleasant sense of balance and wholeness. I tried this out with my local guided meditation group and everyone loved the experience. The session had been recorded and so luckily we can share it with you. Doing this meditation, especially if you use it repeatedly, should enhance mind-body coordination, and increase mental and physical balance.

The Body Balance Meditation guides you to focus more than most of our meditations. You will be directed to put your attention on the right and left side of the body (moving from feet to head) and notice if you experience each side with equal clarity. Often it will be more difficult to sense one side than the other. When one side is less clear to you, you’ll be guided to try to sense that side more, holding the intention of experiencing both sides with equal strength. As you do this, be very easy about this focus. You don’t need to strain or concentrate hard to reach the goal of sensing each side equally. If you don’t find your perception of each side shifting, that’s fine. As with all of our meditations, any effort you make is an “effortless effort”. As you repeat this meditation over time, just naturally the balancing of the perception of the two sides will take place. Simply having that intention will gradually make this shift happen.

I’d love to hear your experience with this meditation, and, as always, am happy to answer questions.

Comments

6 Responses to “Body Balance Meditation”

1. Chel on July 7th, 2011 5:50 pm

This is fabulous! I can’t wait to try it. I use your meditations on a daily basis (usually twice a day) and right now I am getting a tremendous amount from the meditations that are a little more “guided” than those that give me free reign (if that makes any sense). This week I am all about the Breath in the Heart meditation, and the Morning meditation. Thank you again for sharing these with us- what gifts!

2. Mary on July 8th, 2011 8:50 am

You are welcome, Chel. Glad you’re enjoying the meditations. Let us know how this new one goes for you. It is definitely “more guided”. It’s true that some people enjoy the meditations with more focus or guidance more, and others enjoy the “free reign” ones. You may also find that different meditations work better for you at different times.

3. Claire on July 20th, 2011 1:05 am

Am a regular visitor to this site and have tried quite a few of the meditations. They are all great but sometimes I find it hard to pick the right one for what I need at the time. But I struck gold this morning with this choice! Going through a very difficult time at the moment as my mom has terminal cancer so trying to find ways to balance myself and my feelings has been challenging. This guided and specific meditation helped me enormously to find balance. Thank you.

4. Mary on July 20th, 2011 1:53 pm

I’m so glad to hear this, Claire. Thank you for the feedback. We wish you well at this difficult time…

5. April on April 3rd, 2014 8:00 am

I’ve been using your site for meditation for about a month now, and while I’m still learning, I have found each one I’ve tried beneficial. My favorite is the deep rest meditation…my sleep has improved in quality.

6. Mary on April 4th, 2014 10:23 am

That’s great to hear, April! Thanks for letting us know.