Guided Meditation for Patience

April 12, 2011

I’m so glad some of you asked for a meditation for patience. I really needed this! Whenever I’m creating a new meditation, I explore my own experience. Exploring my experience of impatience brought insights, and helped me notice when I was trying to rush things rather than relaxing into the natural rhythm of how things are unfolding in my life. This new podcast meditation was created to allow you (and me) to relax into life’s natural timing.

When we are impatient, we are in a hurry for things to be different. Whether we’re eager to finish a project, or make a change in ourselves or our circumstances, we are focussed on the future. We’re at point A, but our attention is on getting to point B. In essence, we feel that things will be better at point B, and we’re trying to get away from point A.

The fast pace of life and living in a culture that values quantity and speed feeds impatience. For many of us, it takes a strong intention and usually some sort of practice to counteract that. Meditation is certainly a great antidote to our speedy culture, and you can add to that an intention to come back to the present throughout the day. It’s a great help to be in tune with your body, because it will tell you when you are rushing.

Next time you feel impatient, check in with your body. What do you feel? Chances are you’ll feel some agitation and restlessness. Let yourself be present to that. You might then find that some other feeling emerges — sadness, anger, frustration, fear… Allow yourself to be present to that. Allow the emotions to be felt and see what happens. See what else you experience by being present to yourself and the moment. Hopefully you’ll notice the aliveness that is there, and find fulfillment in simply being present to what is.

Take a little more time, and look around you and see what is there — the richness of experience is nothing short of a miracle. You hear sounds, touch textures, see colors and shapes, and have a huge variety of smells and tastes to feed the senses. If you find a relief in relaxing into the now, make note of that for the future. Take a moment to let that sink in, to recognize that the real fulfillment in life doesn’t have anything to do with finishing a project or changing yourself and your circumstances. It has to do with the simple experience of being alive, and the richness of that experience.

Comments

9 Responses to “Guided Meditation for Patience”

1. Katie on May 7th, 2011 7:26 pm

I would love a guided meditation on positive thinking! I have created a pattern of thought for myself where I usually think of the very worst thing that can happen and focus on that instead of all the good in my life. Do you have any guided meditations on positive thinking that I’m not seeing on your website?

2. Mary on May 8th, 2011 8:41 am

Katie, try the Gratitude Meditation in the podcast. Maybe that will help!

3. Eliya on July 7th, 2011 11:43 pm

Excellent meditation. Very relaxing. Daily listening to this will do even more than releasing impatience.

4. Mary on July 8th, 2011 8:51 am

Good to hear, Eliya! Listening daily to a meditation definitely increases the effect. It’s cumulative over time, and I think all of them do more than the title suggests!

5. Bernie on September 14th, 2011 9:00 am

Hi there,

I am unable download the podcast for the patience meditation. I know this is is the best way to experience it but is there atranscript or a written description that I could use?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Bernie

6. Carla Cripps on December 16th, 2011 1:45 pm

Dear Mary,
    I have to thank you and Richard from my heart for the GM for Patience, and also, send my deep gratitude to those of my fellow MO followers/practitioners who thought to ask for it. For me, this may be the most valuable of all your GMs. The fallout from a lack of patience has dogged me most of my life. Some of it is from physical causes only recently discovered: I suffer from chronic dehydration and sleep problems, and drinking more water throughout my waking hours has definitely made me more even-tempered, but at 5:30 this morning when the smoke alarm jangled our nerves (thankfully only because the air was humid), I was pretty miserable at being short on rest in the face of the prospect of a dawning day packed with activities and interactions that would need me to stay clear and patient into the evening, I remembered having skimmed my emails the previous evening, and seeing yours about the new GM, so I found it on my iPhone. I listened to it and didn’t fall asleep again, but I released one boatload of tension I hadn’t known was there. The aspects of impatience and its effect on my own self that you highlighted, Mary, were so exactly the places to which I’d been blind, and the reminders to return to the peace and healing of the blessed breath so appropriate… I look forward to learning to apply these teachings, not only during formal meditation, but when I’m out and about. Thank you all again for setting this in motion. Lots of love to every one of you. Carla in Adelaide

7. Mary on December 17th, 2011 11:18 am

You are welcome, Carla, and so glad the meditation is helping. Thank you for being so open to it and using it so well. Our best to you…

8. Jessica Marsh on June 24th, 2013 10:40 am

This is not what I meant by patience. I’m getting stressed out because my sister is currently watching 4 kids. 1 of them has a really bad attitude, and all 4 of them are really loud- well, except the 2 year old. I need the patience to be able to handle them without exploding as much as I have been.

9. Mary on June 24th, 2013 11:02 am

Jessica, you might want to try the Guided Meditation for Anger. Also, try meditating a couple times a day. Even taking some short meditation breaks here and there might help. Good luck!