Whose is the face of Meditation Oasis?

February 14, 2011

When we were looking for an icon for our Meditation Oasis podcast in the fall of 2006, we kept coming back to the face which not only became our icon, but part of our website banner. We found the picture in an image library of software we were using. The expression is so compelling. It captures meditation so perfectly. None of the other images we considered came close to the power of this image.

It’s intriguing to think about how once upon a time a young woman posed for a photo, and the picture ended up in an image library and then became the now familiar face associated with Meditation Oasis. Who is the woman who posed? Who took her picture? What was the intention of the picture? How did it end up in the image library?

Just recently someone on Facebook asked if the woman in the picture is me. When we chose the photo, we realized that some people might think that, but decided it didn’t matter. It was the expression, the feeling of the picture that mattered, not the features of the face. And besides, we have never wanted to put a lot of attention on ourselves as individuals. What we are interested in is an inner experience, a universal human experience. We are also most interested in YOUR experience, in your discovery through meditation.

Whose is the face of Meditation Oasis? The face of Meditation Oasis is all of us. The icon could easily be a picture of any one of us deep in meditation. The picture could easily be you. When we are at peace, it shines through. No matter how we look, when a person is at peace, that is what everyone sees. It’s unmistakable. It’s a gift to everyone around. We are thankful for the gift of this photo that came in such a serendipitous way. It’s been a gift to all of us who feel the peace that comes through the image.

Comments

13 Responses to “Whose is the face of Meditation Oasis?”

1. Shelagh; Scotland UK on February 14th, 2011 11:59 am

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if you did fnd out the identity of your “face”?
    When I heard your voice I felt somehow it didn’t match the face, there was more life experience in your voice.
    I do like the photo and agree it portrays the utter peace which can be a part of meditation.
    I am very grateful to both of you for your work and website, the music and the topics you cover.
    Love, light and peace,
    Shelagh

2. Mary on February 14th, 2011 12:35 pm

Thank you for commenting, Shelagh. We’re glad you are enjoying our work and meditation especially. Best wishes.

3. Neil on February 14th, 2011 3:58 pm

I also assumed, or wondered rather, if it was (at least) someone connected with MO. Yet, now I know the facts, it doesn’t truly matter that much. Thank you again for your work and generosity.

4. Ross on February 14th, 2011 10:15 pm

I thought this was Mary too, I’ve since found out Mary is even more beautiful then any photograph could depict.
    I love my meditation sessions.
    My mother has been diagnosed with her second bout of cancer & of course she had a raft of emotions & feelings to deal with.
    I loaned her my shuffle with about 20 sessions on it, she has since found a new resolve/young spirit to heal her self.
    Her sheer will to live has increased 10 fold, I think she’s even more tolerant of her husband.
    Thanks Mary

5. Mary on February 15th, 2011 10:06 am

Neil – you are welcome!

Ross – This is so moving to read. I’m so pleased the meditations have helped your mother. You are so very welcome!

6. Hugh Mann on February 15th, 2011 10:29 am

I sincerely appreciate the podcasts that you have made public. Your guided meditation sessions have been a great help for me. I used to suffer from bouts of anxiety and depression. They have all but disappeared now that I have made mediation a daily practice.

You have my heartfelt thanks!

Peace and Blessings to All

7. Mary on February 15th, 2011 12:12 pm

A heartfelt you are welcome, Hugh. This is great to hear! Peace and blessings to you.

8. alison on February 15th, 2011 5:45 pm

Why do I sometimes cry when meditating? Sometime it is connected with a painful memory that is evoked, other times tears just roll down my cheeks not connected to any thought?

9. Mary on February 18th, 2011 9:35 am

Hi alison, sometimes in the deep relaxation of meditation, emotions that are under the surface come up. It’s a release of something that’s been held in the body. It’s a good thing. It should lead to you feeling better. If the emotions/memories are overwhelming and start to distress you during your everyday activity, it can be helpful to get some support, like counseling, to deal with what has come up. Otherwise, just know it’s a natural healing process that can happen with meditation.

10. Eleanor on February 19th, 2011 3:35 am

I thought that it’s Mary’s photo too, and I started to think, “WOW I wish to be as beautiful as Mary!” By the way, isn’t it true that all meditators look more beautiful after their daily meditations?

Once I joined a Catholic retreat in which the retreat master taught us how to meditate. The time for private meditation lasted for an hour. After the meditation, I went to the washroom and found that I looked different. It seemed that there was a gleam of light shining from my face.

11. Mary on February 19th, 2011 9:24 am

Eleanor, funnily we never actually thought about the beauty of the woman’s face in the photo. What we saw was the peacefulness. I do think that our faces change when we are relaxed and at peace – our inner beauty shines through.

12. Paul on March 28th, 2011 1:39 am

Dear Mary
    I just wanted to thank you for your beautiful mediations. I have just completed a very difficult two years which has culminated in a legal seperation. When times were getting really tough I have found that your mediations have been a great source of help and support. They have helped me find an inner calm, peace and happiness that I did not believe poossible.
    Thank you for all your work.
    Paul.

13. Mary on March 28th, 2011 9:18 am

Paul, you are so very welcome. It’s deeply fulfilling to hear that the meditations have been of so much help, and that you could find peace and happiness in such a difficult time. We wish you well!