Present Moment Awareness Meditation

August 19, 2010

“Present moment awareness” isn’t something that can be captured in words. It is a holistic awareness of “what is”. This short meditation is an opportunity to explore what is “here and now”.

This is a more advanced meditation in that the instructions are very subtle. The words I say in meditations are never meant as instructions to be followed precisely, and that is even more true for this meditation. Since there’s so much interest in the idea of the “present moment”, it might be easy to get caught up in concepts about it and what it is. Any idea we have about the present moment, however, is not what it is. As you listen to this meditation, listen easily. Treat it more like poetry than prose, allowing it to reveal something to you that can’t be named. Let go of the need to understand!

We’d love to hear your experiences with this meditation!

Comments

11 Responses to “Present Moment Awareness Meditation”

1. eliya sydney on August 19th, 2010 10:50 pm

As a teacher of Meditation I am always looking for new ways to heal through Meditating. Please advise how to get into this?

2. Tweets that mention Present Moment Awareness Meditation | Meditation Oasis -- Topsy.com on August 20th, 2010 6:43 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Cat 'N Owl, Reiki Fans. Reiki Fans said: Present Moment Awareness Meditation http://bit.ly/b2KP9K […]

3. Mary on August 21st, 2010 10:06 am

There are two healing meditations in our free podcast. You can listen to them on the Listen to Our Podcast page.

4. Eleanor on August 27th, 2010 7:56 pm

Dear Mary,

Once again, thank you very much for your wonderful guided meditations.

My job as a school teacher requires me to pay close attention to my students, colleagues, as well as the tasks I have to perform as part of my school duties. I find that I am not a multitasking person who can divide my attention among several things. Very often I put all my attention on one task, and when I work on one I have to ignore the others. After spending my energy on doing one thing, I become so exhausted that I cannot go on with the other tasks.

The most important lesson that I have learned from the Present Moment Awareness meditation is that I can temporarily relax my attention, or the energy that I spend on pay attention to the things and people surrounding me. I realize that I don’t need to spend so much attention in order to be aware of one single thing. This saves much of my physical and mental energy.

Many thanks for your wonderful guided meditations.

Best wishes,

Eleanor

5. Mary on August 28th, 2010 10:43 am

Eleanor, you are welcome. It’s fascinating to read about your experience with this meditation. You are really gaining a lot of mastery of how you use your attention!

6. Ross on November 1st, 2010 7:25 pm

Hello Mary,
    Your pod casts are par-excellence.
    I am in Emotional & Physical pain at the moment and have been using your guided mediations liberally so to speak.
    2 or 3 in an afternoon, I feel profound restfulness after this but I wonder if I can spend too much time in ‘the source’?
    Typical of me I guess I always want ‘just one more’ I have been following your advice and letting it be, if it feels true & pure then it’s OK.
    Ross in Sydney.

7. Mary on November 2nd, 2010 9:26 am

Thank you for your kind words, Ross (and those on Facebook). We’re so pleased the meditations are helping with your pain. It is possible to meditate too much, but what “too much” is depends on the person, kind of meditation and circumstances. If the pain is from illness or injury, extra meditation is often just the right thing to help with the healing process. Let your ability to function and how you feel in activity be your guide. You might want to read this blog post — Can you meditate too much? and see if that is relevant for you.

8. Lou on December 13th, 2010 10:27 am

I really find comfort in teh mediations that have been provided, I am a daily user and would like to share some struggles that hopefully you could poin tme into the direction of a mediation that would help
    1. Quieting the mind and staying connected to Source during daily activity, are there tools, is there a practice?
    2. Difference between prayer- mediation and affiramtions, do they have a place during mediation?
    3. Its tough out there for a lot of people, dealing with Fear-Anxiousness-

Thanks for helping, Spirit has found a strong voice in you….Lou

9. Mary on December 16th, 2010 11:18 am

Lou, you are welcome. For quieting the mind and staying connected — be regular in meditation — once or twice every day, and try the different meditations and see which is most quieting for you. You can also take the online course to really absorb the principles and practice deeply. As for the difference between prayer, meditation and affirmations — I’d need to do a whole blog post about that and hope I will. If you do a search on the site, you can find a blog post about prayer and meditation with others comments. Finally, again regular meditation can help with anxiety and you might find the breath awareness the most useful. Also we have an iPhone app called At Ease for anxiety, and the program is also available on our website (look in the Shop). Best wishes.

10. lissa on November 27th, 2012 11:50 pm

I’ve been trying awareness watching awareness meditation described in a book I am reading and am finding it difficult. I simply can’t figure out how to pinpoint my awareness in order to stay with it to the exclusion of everything else.

The present moment, however, I can find and stay with pretty well so I’ve started doing that instead. Is this essentially the same thing? Is present moment awareness the same thing as awareness, i.e. the “I AM”?

11. Mary on November 28th, 2012 9:38 am

Lissa, Awareness can’t be pinpointed! It can be noticed in the background of everything else you are experiencing. You are aware that you are aware. It is a sense of presence. It’s there all the time, but when your attention is fully focussed on something, you don’t notice it. Meditation can allow the mind to disengage enough that awareness becomes obvious. I’m not sure that it would even be possible to “pinpoint my awareness in order to stay with it to the exclusion of everything else”. You are certainly welcome to try the free guided meditations in the podcast and see if you enjoy the experience they bring to you.