Accessing Intuition Guided Meditation

April 26, 2010

Meeting Richard was an amazing experience. I felt a deep recognition. I even had a vision of him playing exquisite music on a keyboard. (I had no idea at the time that he was a musician.) There was such a strong connection that I actually had the thought – “could he be the one?” My emotions rebelled, however, and I immediately brushed the thought away.

As I got to know Richard, there was a level on which I knew, absolutely knew, that I wanted to be with him. And yet, I had a carefully constructed list of all the attributes I wanted in a mate, and he just didn’t fit the bill. (I might add that the same was true for him, I was not what he had in mind either!)  We were both drawn to each other, but we struggled because of our preconceived ideas of what we thought our mate should be like. Our intuition told us one thing and our ideas and emotions told us something else.

Looking back on our years together, I see the great wisdom in the choice we made to be together. I couldn’t see it so clearly at that time. The choice came from a deeper knowing, a knowing that was within us even when our emotions protested, even when our minds didn’t really understand. Intuition contains that kind of wisdom. It’s like a computer that can process more information than we can possibly juggle with the conscious mind. Intuition mysteriously taps into the past, present and future, as well as bypassing our blind spots.

Intuition comes from a place that’s beyond logic, analysis or even our emotions. It’s an inner knowing that is steady and clear. With intuition, you “just know”. It’s actually very natural. If we human beings weren’t such complicated creatures, the concept of intuition wouldn’t even exist. We would simply know what work to do, what to eat, who to marry. Our next step would be obvious. But, alas, our ideas and emotions can cloud our vision, and we can become quite confused about the choices, large and small, that life requires us to make.

The goal of the Accessing Intuition Guided Meditation is to help you tap into your intuition by going beyond analysis, evaluation and emotional reactions. By allowing your awareness to settle down in a way that it transcends the influence of thinking and emotions, you able to attend to the subtle messages of intuition. Hopefully the meditation will also help you to trust your intuition, by learning to recognize what it feels like. Often we have an inner knowing about something, but we’re afraid to trust it. The more we’re able to recognize intuition, the easier it will be to trust in it. Intuition feels good in your body. There is a steadiness about it, and it is uncolored by emotions and concepts.

Comments

11 Responses to “Accessing Intuition Guided Meditation”

1. Yoga Thailand on April 27th, 2010 6:49 pm

“With intuition, you “just know”. It’s actually very natural. If we human beings weren’t such complicated creatures, the concept of intuition wouldn’t even exist. We would simply know what work to do, what to eat, who to marry. Our next step would be obvious. But, alas, our ideas and emotions can cloud our vision, and we can become quite confused about the choices, large and small, that life requires us to make.”

I just wanted to let you know how much this, in particular, resonated with me. I’ve been meditating for a little while now and live at a meditation and yoga center in Thailand, Yoga Thailand
    Through my journey, I’ve lost and found this “inner knowing” many times. I really appreciated this post about it. It’s inspiring.

Lisa

2. Shauna on April 28th, 2010 1:18 pm

I was raised in a cult-like religion in which trust in your intuition and internal wisdom was squashed. It took me many, many years to learn to trust my strong intuitions.

I had a very similar experience to yours when meeting my husband. In some respects he’s not who I thought I’d end up with and vice versa. But in all the ways that are truly important to life long partnership, he is the perfect compliment to me and my intuition told me so. I’m so glad by the time I met him I had come to trust my inner wisdom. I didn’t let him slip by from overthinking him away.

But as Lisa said, trust in your intuition can fade at times so I look forward to this Intuition Meditation. Thank you!

3. Mary on April 28th, 2010 3:11 pm

Yoga Thailand — glad it resonated with you. Most of us do lose touch with our inner knowing and have to return to it over and over!

Shauna — I think many of us have been raised in a way that squashed our intuition. Glad you’ve been able to reconnect with yours. And yes, our experiences with our husbands sound so similar. I think our intuition informs us about “the ways that are truly important to life”. It helps us align with life’s wisdom on our path. Hope the meditation helps!

4. Tiffany on May 31st, 2010 3:37 am

Last year I was meditating almost everyday and soon had visions during the day that came true of future and past lost memories. Meditation is powerful and with the proper teacher will benefit some people well. Certain things were not explainable in this physical world when I was meditating. I will start again with my instructor. Good luck to everyone. :)

5. elena on June 29th, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Mary,

I’m new to your website, though I have listened to mediation oasis for nearly 2 years. Your meditations have helped me profoundly in my spiritual journey, so I want thank you very much for helping me experience serenity daily.

I want to share with you that my intuition is always clearer in the morning, just before I awake, during that “lucid” state of not quite dreaming and not quite awake. Whenever I go to bed at night, whether conscious or not of an issue that I’m seeking an answer for, I most always wake up with a strong sense of knowing what the answer is. Perhaps it’s the deepness of sleep and the relaxation of the conscious mind that brings (from the subconscious) to the surface what is really going on. When this happens, the intuitive knowledge, I most always feel peaceful and assured. Maybe other people have similar experiences?

6. Mary on July 1st, 2010 10:04 am

You are welcome, elena. Your comment sheds new light on saying “I’ll sleep on it”. Perhaps others will comment, but I can relate to this in that things get processed as we sleep and also at the time we wake up, we can be more in touch with the intuitive mind.

7. Guidede meditation on August 4th, 2010 6:49 am

Hey mary you website is really good having very vast information on the guided meditation. I looking for more.

8. Arcy on April 12th, 2012 6:25 am

Hi Mary,

I have recently started this new journey. I am a complete noob and lost with all the information that is out there. I came across your site when googling information on not being able to visualize during a guided meditation (which I have read your response to a comment in Q&A). I close my eyes and cannot visualize anything to save my life lol It is all dark. Very frustrating when I am trying to visualize a beam of light and the color of my chakras.

What brought me to this topic is a comment I have heard many times in my life “you have a gift.” Random people I have met in my life have told me that. Someone I know does coffee, numerology and tarot readings and without even getting into any of the readings she smiled at me and said many beautiful things (which it is a shame I cannot recall) including that I have a strong psychic gift meaning a strong intuition.

Unlike Elena, I can never ever remember my dreams =/ I wouldn’t have a clue when the answers are coming to me.

I have no clue where to start. How do I find a teacher (I’m an expat living in London)? Just so many questions.

9. Mary on April 12th, 2012 10:22 am

Amy, Intuitive gifts come in many different forms. Intuition doesn’t have to involve clear visualization. You don’t need to remember your dreams. You just have to find out how information comes to you. See what happens when you use the Accessing Intuition Guided Meditation on our Listen to Our Podcast page.

10. Tracey on February 13th, 2013 4:23 am

Hi Mary,

My friend recently introduced me to your meditation app as I am going through an intensely upsetting and stressful time in my life right now and she thought it might help.

At first I was sceptical but within a short time I found that a number of your soothing meditations really helped me to relax and let go… as a result I have managed to stop taking sleeping tablets which I have been on for the past three months. A huge achievement – so thankyou so much! :D

I would like to ask you a question about the guided “Accessing Intuition” meditation. Mostly I fall asleep listening to it, but a couple of times I have experienced things which have disturbed me. Its like Im seeing a freeze-frame from a film – or snatches of images – and a “knowing” about something I think is going to happen in the future. These “messages” are not always positive and dont make me feel good as they are about things I dont want to happen.

Are these images and “knowings” I am experiencing really a look into the future – or is it just that fears I have hidden in the back of my mind are coming out due to my relaxed state?

Im really confused about this but as I have so many questions about the future I have listened to the Intuition meditation several times over the past week hoping for answers. Im not sure if this is the right thing to do as I have been feeling increasingly stressed while listening to it – I havent seen anything else in the last few days and am wondering if my feelings are blocking the images. I know the whole point is to relax and let go. but if I do this I fall asleep and feel dissapointed when I wake up to have missed the meditation. Its a bit of a vicious circle!

What would you recommend – do you think I should not listen to the Intuition meditation when I feel stressed? Or should I keep going and see what comes out?

Thankyou for your advice and guidance
    Tracey

11. Mary on February 13th, 2013 7:01 pm

Tracey, You are so welcome. I’m glad you’re getting so much benefit from the meditations. Intuition can be very tricky thing. You could be experiencing exactly what you say. It could be that there is some fear that is coming to the surface and that deep relaxation, and then the mind gives images to it much like in a dream. Sometimes we can see images when we’re in a kind of half dream state. Usually intuition that you can trust comes from a place that’s beyond emotion. The mind is very calm and a kind of inner knowing comes. I would say that since the experience with this meditation is disturbing at this time, perhaps it is better not to do the meditation! The best preparation for the future is regular meditation, so whatever you are concerned about you will be best prepared for it by being well rested and relaxed. I hope this helps!