My “soothing” “irritating” voice – thoughts on being oneself

February 5, 2010

If you are reading this post, chances are you are someone who likes my voice, the style of my guided meditations and Richard’s music. I get lots of comments about how soothing and reassuring my voice is. That feels good, of course. But everyone’s reaction to my voice isn’t so favorable.

There have been reviews that said I sound like a Valley Girl, a Saturday Night Live skit, too sing-songy, aggravating, irritating, annoying, even drunk! Reactions to a person’s voice and style of speaking, especially in a guided meditation, can be so different. Something in a voice can trigger a difficult or unpleasant association. What soothes one person annoys another.

Obviously, there’s no “best” guided meditation style or “right” voice for everyone. People’s tastes are so varied. Nevertheless, the first time we got a negative review on our first CD, it made me want to quit. I listened to myself and thought “oh my they’re right, I sound ridiculous”. It didn’t matter that many people were already getting benefit from the meditations. My confidence in myself was so low. On top of that, I have a way of seeing things from all different sides. So I could easily feel that someone’s criticism was the truth of the matter.

Thank goodness I didn’t give up. It took a lot of reminding myself that a few people not liking what I do doesn’t negate the value many others were receiving from my work. It took accepting that as soon as you express yourself fully, in your own unique way, some people are not going to like what you do. It also took understanding that the more you express your true self, the more you had to offer those who resonate with you.

For much of my life, I didn’t fully express my creativity and talents because I preferred to hide and not give anyone the chance to criticize me. But that is no way to live. We all have gifts and we need to share them to be really fulfilled. If you express yourself and share your gifts, not everyone will enjoy them, but some people will absolutely love what you have to offer. And that’s what matters – that you give what you can to those who can benefit from it. Perhaps what matters even more is that you give the gift of yourself to yourself!

Now when I hear a criticism, it doesn’t phase me. My perspective is much more balanced, and my self-love and respect so much stronger. Day by day, I gather more courage to be more fully myself. The more I express myself, the less I care what others think, the more fulfilling life becomes. It’s an on-going journey for me. Some fortunate people grow up with that kind of confidence, but others have to gain it later. How about you? What has your experience been?

Comments

70 Responses to “My “soothing” “irritating” voice – thoughts on being oneself”

1. inannasstar on February 5th, 2010 3:37 pm

I love your voice and listen to your meditations all the time. Thank you (and your husband) for sharing your peace.

Blessings to you.

2. Ian on February 5th, 2010 4:41 pm

I’m sorry I just don’t get people who leave negative comments about free podcast’s. If you don’t like it look for another one.

I for one love your voice and I love Richards music. It’s so pavlovian for me now that I’m in a meditative state within 30 seconds of hearing his music.

Thanks You

3. Mary on February 5th, 2010 4:53 pm

@innasstar You are welcome! Blessings to you…

@Ian Thank you for your kind words. Actually, we don’t get negative comments about the podcast. Those comments have mainly been in reviews on places like Amazon.com where people have paid for our products. People are more likely to make negative comments if they’ve paid for something. That’s to be expected really, and there’s never something that pleases absolutely everyone!

4. Matt on February 5th, 2010 5:02 pm

Hello Mary and Richard :) – Two years ago I fell smitten for a wonderful woman who has now grown popular in her domain. At first she had only a few hundred subscribers. I showed my love and dedication relentlessly offering her many creative ideas and suggestions as random as you like. I assisted her in basic marketing with my experiences of past. She is now very popular to say the least!! Last summer, she became interested more openly and her attention was enough to make me dizzy I forgot about all else then one day I saw her amount of subscribers which was hundreds of thousands!! My confidence suddenly rattled and I choked. A fight or flight case if you will, I fled with a nasty comment which I will always wince till my last breath! The reaction from her subscribers followed and it felt the world was against me. I was lost for words and felt heart broken, very annoyed with my self unable to face my lack of courage and face. On Christmas day when volunteering at a local hospital, a patient who sadly has now passed said something which thankfully released that stifling energy in a an instant. He said that I am not the opinion of others. I have since continued, tentatively I must add, made good but lost her love or friendship we once shared. She is very kind but even so!! My confidence is back and once again I can look at myself and laugh, all be it with a smile and a shake of my head. I ignore the persistent ridicule of others as I remind my self they joined much later and know little of the history or relationship involved but very harsh comments by a few. I forgive these people which enables me to be me! My late Grandfather use to say metaphorically speaking, “If someone doesn’t like your trousers, that’s not your problem!’ and remember The Monty Python crew who would sit around a table creating the most off the wall programmes ever who said, “Welcome and enjoy, if you don’t like it then sod off!’ – Also, as a leisure club attendant looking after the pool, elders would ask for the temperature to be hot and younger ones to be cool. I chose a middle temp but that caused twice the hassle, so I would flip a coin each day and go with fate! I think the biggest lesson that I have learned has been trust in ones own instincts and believe!! I feel love always for everyone and everything in life but only recently began to love my self. I soon hope to find my niche and go dor it whole heartedly doing the basics as the rest will be sure to follow. I accept that you will never please 100% of people at any given time no matter who or what you do but if you can help or please just one other then, in my opinion, you have succeeded already. I use to play live music in a few bands and we had a handful of followers who loved us and the critics were very harsh. We almost had it in the bag but some band members took the cricium to heart and no longer believed. When I heard a tune on BBC Radio one evening five years later, my heart was full of joy and pity. When I first heard you guys on i-tunes, instantly I felt a connection and believed in you and what you were doing as I still do today. You have inspired me to keep me focussed in going it alone and I have made every sacrifice to get this far, a base where I can now concentrate and go for it. I always remind my self of Rule Number 6; Don’t be too serious and in case you are wondering what the other rules are well, there are no other rules! Be well, Matt :)

5. Ellen November on February 5th, 2010 5:05 pm

Your voice is so soothing that I rarely can stay awake for an entire session. I am so grateful for you and your amazing voice.

6. JBBC on February 5th, 2010 5:25 pm

Great post Mary – thank you for sharing so honestly with us – it has been very helpful to a people pleaser like me to read this today! I must admit that I am surprized at those Amazon comments because I would have assumed that people would avail of the opportunity to preview your voice here first before buying your CD.

Anyway, for the record, I find your voice rich, warm and soothing and what Ian says so beautifullyabout the pavlovian response is true for me too :-)

7. Kelly Horton on February 5th, 2010 6:37 pm

My experience is you have the voice of an angel. So soothing. I am so grateful to have discovered your podcasts. I have been going through some very difficult life changes and the guided meditations have helped me during this turbulent time. I understand what you’re saying, and I agree. I have always focused ONLY on the people who don’t like me for whatever reason, paid less attention to people who do like me, and believed that there must be something wrong with me. I have learned that there isn’t anything wrong with me. It’s always a matter of opinion and isn’t personal. Some people really dislike carrots, but that doesn’t make them wrong. I wish I had learned this lesson way earlier in life than I did. Thanks for sharing your experience.

8. Michelle on February 5th, 2010 10:09 pm

Mary, I’m so thankful to have found your website…I meditate every morning and evening and am ‘addicted’ to it. I love the sound of your voice and Richard’s music. It’s perfect!

I, too, do not understand those people who seem to want to find negativity in everything. It’s great that you do not take it to heart.

9. Greg on February 6th, 2010 8:43 am

Very interesting post. I for one love what Meditation Oasis has to offer. I have tried many guided meditations and had often been distracted by the voices I heard and wondered if I would ever be able to complete a guided meditation. Then I found Mary’s podcasts and had no problem at all – totally puts me at ease. I don’t think I could listen to anyone else : ). Thanks Mary and Richard for the great work you do and service you offer through iTunes and other forums.

10. Mary on February 6th, 2010 9:46 am

@Matt Thank you for your open sharing, including the wise words from your grandfather and Monty Python. You gave such great examples – I loved the story of the leisure club pool temperature predicament! Wishing that you fall more deeply in love with yourself everyday…

@Ellen Thank you for your kind words.

@JBBC From one people pleaser to another — shall we start a PPA (People Pleasers Anonymous) ;) We had CDs on Amazon long before we started the podcast, and not everyone knows about the podcast (imagine that!). Thank you for your kind presence!

@Kelly You’re welcome. I’m so glad you’ve come to see there is nothing wrong with you. What a blessing, even when this comes later than we would have liked. Thank you for sharing this.

@Michelle We’re grateful you found us too. As far as addictions go, a meditation addiction is a good one! Thank you for your supportive words.

@Greg You are so welcome. I’m so glad the podcasts put you at ease. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

11. Lucy Jeffers on February 6th, 2010 2:19 pm

I love your meditations and your soothing voice, keep up the good work. I use them every night and they always relax me.

also glad I read the comments above, I lately for some stupid reason have been feeling like I had to be a people pleaser, I never felt that before quite the opposite.
    some very good points made on that issue came to me at just the right moment in time.

Guess sometimes we just feel too sensitive about ourselves and others and what they think.

As the old saying goes if you knew how little people think about you, you would never worry ,they are very busy thinking about themselves most of the time.

12. Mary on February 6th, 2010 2:55 pm

Good to be reminded of that old saying, Lucy! Glad the meditations are helping you relax. Best wishes.

13. Lotus on February 7th, 2010 2:47 am

“Perhaps what matters even more is that you give the gift of yourself to yourself!”

I love the above sentence you said. When we are able to truly be at peace with our expression of who we really are – it is truly a gift we give ourselves.

I find that when I am in that place of deep peace with myself, nothing much could affect me. The challenge is to learn how to stay in that place, deeply and constantly.

I have my good days and my not so good days in class. For me, the key is to relax, tune in deeply and let go of trying too hard, that’s when the flow comes most naturally.

I think that is pretty much what you are teaching too.

I am thankful that you didn’t give up :) I feel the peace in your voice.

14. Mary on February 7th, 2010 10:07 am

Lotus, I liked that sentence too when it popped up as I wrote. I’m pleased you picked up on it and elaborated on it in your words “When we are able to be truly at peace with our expression of who we really are – it is truly a gift we give ourselves.” Beautiful, thank you!

15. Sophie on February 8th, 2010 7:27 pm

I love your voice!! I have recently started to get int meditation and this podcast has been a godsend. I am a very anxious, nervous person but thanks to you I an becoming relaxed and finally sleeping enough. Thank you so much for everything and all the wonderful meditations!

16. Mary on February 9th, 2010 10:01 am

How wonderful, Sophie. You are welcome!

17. Kristie on February 9th, 2010 10:13 am

I love your voice, Mary. I find it very soothing, and the cadence and lilt of your voice is somewhat like being rocked to sleep for me.
    I too suffer from severe anxiety and insomnia, and since beginning meditation (I started with your podcast) I am finally starting to be able to slow down, take a breath, and get some rest.
    So thanks :)

18. Mary on February 10th, 2010 10:19 am

I’m so glad to hear that you are getting some relief. You are welcome and thanks for stopping by to comment.

19. Lynne C. on February 13th, 2010 1:41 pm

My experience has been great! From one Jersey girl to another, I can say I wish we all sounded like you. I prefer to listen to your podcasts before bed, and if I were irritated I certainly would not be drifting off to sleep with you in my ears. In my own life, as a Leo I never cared much what other people thought. If one has a problem with me, well, it’s his problem now, isn’t it? I’ve always been independent and on my own track, and there seem to be a lot of people in our society who don’t have much appreciation for strong women, but I say “Oh well!” to them. We all have our own beauty and our own contributions. If we are more focused on what we don’t like in others than in what we do like about ourselves, I don’t think we’ll make it very far. Thanks for what you are putting out there and keep up the great work!

20. Mary on February 14th, 2010 10:59 am

You’re welcome, Lynne, and thank you. It’s wonderful to hear from such a strong woman, and a Jersey girl no less ;-) !

21. Cindy on February 17th, 2010 11:31 am

I’m so glad you didn’t give up! Your guided meditations are such a gift to the world. Some people are in such a negative place in their lives that they come up with picky, negative, unhelpful comments. When I hear comments like that, I think to myself that this person is going to say something negative no matter what, and that if they can’t think of something of substance to comment on, then I must be doing a good job!

22. Mary on February 17th, 2010 1:10 pm

Great perspective, Cindy – “if they can’t think of something of substance to comment on, then I must be doing a good job!” Thanks for adding your comment!

23. David on February 18th, 2010 3:42 am

Mary, your voice is anything but irritating. I question the validity of such a statement but alas, there is no accounting for taste. I can tell you have a regional accent but it does not offend my Californian ears.

Thank you for what you and your husband do, I listen to you every night while studying for the bar exam. I will lend my support soon because you have given me much. TY!

24. Mary on February 18th, 2010 10:24 am

You are welcome, David. Good luck with your bar exam!

25. Andrew on February 18th, 2010 10:15 pm

Mary your voice has instilled more peace in me than anyone I’ve ever encountered, I can assure you it is anything but “irritating”!

26. Mary on February 19th, 2010 9:55 am

Thank you for your kind words, Andrew. Everything is “in the eye of the beholder”, isn’t it… It warms my heart to feel my voice has brought you peace.

27. julie on February 21st, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi I live in Ireland and have just started using your meditation on my ipod. I usually do the deep rest because I find it hard getting to sleep at times even though I feel tired. I have never meditated before because I did not believe in it, but I have to say that it seems to work and your voice is very soothing!! So I just want to say thanks and keep up the good work.

28. Mary on February 21st, 2010 6:12 pm

You are welcome, julie. So glad you gave meditation a chance and that it’s working for you!

29. patti on March 7th, 2010 5:54 pm

mary, i think you’ve got an absolutely beautiful voice.
    it’s very calming and relaxing to me.

whenever we offer something to the world, we are bound to get critics who don’t like it.
    that’s ok.
    we all have different tastes and preferences and none of us are obliged to please everyone.

i think i have known from a very young age that you cannot please everyone….the best you can hope for is to please yourself.
    and if anyone else likes it, then that’s a bonus!

i am so glad you didn’t quit.
    i constantly use and recommend your meditations.
    there is nothing else like them.

30. Mary on March 8th, 2010 5:03 pm

patti, Good to hear from you! Great that you could learn early that “you cannot please everyone….the best you can hope for is to please yourself and if anyone else likes it, that’s a bonus!”. Wise words.

31. Nancy on April 12th, 2010 5:50 am

Mary, I love your voice…don’t change a thing!

32. Mary on April 12th, 2010 8:40 am

Thank you for your kind words, Nancy…

33. Amber on April 12th, 2010 6:44 pm

Thank you so much for what you do…I like many others have suffered from nervousness, anxiety, and insomnia. At the height of my frustration, after pills, exercise, and anything else anyone could offer me….someone suggested meditation. My first instinct was that if medication couldnt help there wasn’t much else to do but try and live comfortably with these problems. After an incredibly difficult day following a restless night, i seached for a guided meditation assuming that it couldn’t hurt. I found your podcast immediately and have been hooked ever since! It has encouraged me to seek other forms of alternative therapy and things have become so much easier to deal with and control. You will never know how grateful i am to you and what you do, Thank you

34. Mary on April 13th, 2010 1:19 pm

It’s so moving to read this, Amber. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We too are grateful that you have found this relief and you are very welcome. We wish you the best.

35. Evelyn on April 15th, 2010 10:45 am

Mary,

I must say that I am a fan of your voice and your meditations. I always keep a few in my ipod.

I stopped by your website today because I am writing an article about meditation, and I wanted to link to you because yours are some of my favorite guided meditations.

So, don’t take heed to the words of haters! Keep doing what you are doing because you have many fans who appreciate your beautiful gifts that you bless the world with.

Thank you!

36. Mary on April 15th, 2010 1:00 pm

You are welcome, Evelyn, and thank you for your kind words. Took a quick look at your website and will come back — looks like some really good content!

37. Jamie on May 1st, 2010 7:46 pm

I love that you are so philosophical and at the same time a female! I love philosophy, but it’s hard to find other people who do, let alone girls! And you’re into meditative practices and such and who knows what else!
    I’m not hitting on you or anything, I guess I just want you to know that it comforts me that there is a woman/female (and hopefully more women/females) like you in this World.
    I think it would be amazing to talk philosophy with you, I really do.
    Thank you very much for making your podcast and making this website. Best wishes to you and Richard! =)

38. Jamie on May 1st, 2010 8:02 pm

Oh yeah, and I really like your voice! It is soothing, calming.

39. Mary on May 2nd, 2010 10:51 am

You are welcome, Jamie. We all long to find “kindred spirits” and sometimes those of us with a philosophical nature have to look a little harder to find them. I’m sure you’ll find there are others, including those of the female gender, who share your love of philosophy. Richard and I wish you all the best!

40. Therese on May 6th, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi Mary
    Personally I love your voice and am very soothed by it and able to really relax into my meditation while listening to you.

Recently I suggested your podcasts to a client of mine who is incredibly anxious. She agreed to give it a go. Next time we spoke she told me she couldn’t do it because “the voice was irritating”. I was surprised and (instantly wanted to defend you, but in my professional stance I didn’t and) explored it further with her. Essentially she found it annoying because she was more annoyed with herself with her inability to lie still, relax and not focus on her anxious thoughts (remember this woman is VERY anxious).

So rather than focus on why people don’t “like” it, I wonder whats happening for those people at the time? Where is their focus?

I must add too that a number of other clients love the podcasts! Keep up the great work and thank you for giving me the opportunity to access your material free and at a time when I most needed it!
    Therese

41. Shelagh; Scotland on May 7th, 2010 4:01 am

Mary I find you voice superbly soothing.
    I work with people who are often searching for the right start to Meditation and I direct them straight to Meditation Oasis!
    I love Richard’s music too and find it helpful for study or reading while my husband has football (soccer) or motor racing on tv.
    The work you both do is tremendous.
    Thank you!

42. Janet on May 7th, 2010 5:42 am

Your voice is what I love. Thank goodness you didn’t give up! But that is what we often do but for me meditation helps stay centered and trust myself and my God.

43. Mary on May 7th, 2010 1:40 pm

You are welcome, Therese. I’m so glad the meditations are helpful for you and your clients. Thank you for this thoughtful perspective. Yes, I imagine the reactions to my (or anyone’s) voice is often a reflection of what is going on in them at the time.

44. Mary on May 7th, 2010 1:43 pm

Shelagh, thank you for commenting, and you are welcome. I, too, love to listen to Richard’s music during various activities :)

45. Mary on May 7th, 2010 1:44 pm

How wonderful to hear this, Janet. I’m really glad I didn’t give up, too!

46. P on May 25th, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Mary, what a wonderful post. And also a wonderful podcast. I discovered your guided meditations only 3 days ago and already I’m feeling the benefit and am totally hooked. :) I’ve been meditating without guidance for a while, and enjoy that also, but I find your podcasts help me a lot.

And as for this topic… one thing I found is that people are never short on comments… and even criticisms. I used to have a hard time expressing myself genuinely as well.. also to avoid the critique. But I never was able to avoid it.. and it seems I only managed to avoid myself! So now I try to stay tuned into what I want.. what makes me happy, what I feel is beautiful, etc… that way the criticisms might be annoying, but they don’t bring with them the painful realization that in addition to that person rejecting me (in a way), I’ve rejected myself, and God.

Anyway, I send you good thoughts and much gratitude.

Be well!
    P.

47. Mary on May 28th, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi P, Glad you are enjoying the podcast. That’s so true, that when curb our genuine self-expression to avoid criticism, we are rejecting ourselves. Beautifully said, thank you!

48. Virginia on May 30th, 2010 4:52 pm

First let me say I LOVE your voice and music. This year I found medition because I needed surgery & started with acupuncture and meditation to help with recovery. I first purchased your application ‘simply being’ and found it soooo helpful, then I stumbled upon your podcasts and I am hooked! It has been such a gift and blessing! I am in a difficult time in my life and your podcasts are a happy place for me – so I thank u so!!! Peace

49. Mary on May 31st, 2010 8:46 am

Virginia, you are welcome. It’s wonderful that you found meditation and that it helped you recover from your surgery. I’m sure it will continue to serve you well in all sorts of ways! Best wishes.

50. Emily on June 14th, 2010 10:59 am

My favorite part is how at some point in most of the meditations you say, “It doesn’t matter.” That is now something my friends and I say to each other, after I told them about you and how you say that phrase. It helps a lot during the day for me to hear your voice saying that. It calms me down. So I would say that if someone criticizes your voice you can just remember that, “It doesn’t matter.” Thanks for what you do.

51. Mary on June 14th, 2010 3:48 pm

You’re welcome, Emily. So many things we trouble ourselves over don’t really matter. It’s great that that phrase in the meditations has worked in your life that way!

52. Emma on July 23rd, 2010 4:27 am

I sampled quite a few podcasts before downloading yours and I thoroughly enjoy them! Yours stood out to me because your voice is clear and concise and you do the meditations at a pace which is really comfortable and natural. I have been travelling India for over three months and am now in Bali and your voice has travelled with me and soothed me on plenty of occasions. You are doing something wonderful – keep doing it!

53. Mary on July 23rd, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks for your comment, Emma. We do plan on keepin’ on keepin’ on. Nice to think my voice is traveling in India and Bali!

54. Sara on July 29th, 2010 8:18 am

Hi Mary,

I’ve been listening to your podcasts for about a year now, and I just wanted to say that yes you do have a distinctive voice and style that at first I found a little strange, but I’m so glad I continued listening because now I immediately associate your voice with instant calm and find a meditative state come so easily through your podcasts. Thank you also for never rushing through the meditation process or over talking like many others out there.

You’re offering such a great gift and I just wanted to say a big thank you! x

55. Mary on July 29th, 2010 10:21 am

Thank you for commenting, Sara, and you are welcome. I think what is so different about my style is that I am speaking out the meditations while in a meditative state. This, I believe, helps the listener to get into that state. My speech patterns, therefore, are not the same as they would be if I were simply giving instructions. I am meditating with you!

56. Alexis on August 26th, 2010 5:20 pm

I agree with the other posters that I’ve developed a learned response to both your particular intonation and to Richard’s music – I had to stop using the guided meditations at bedtime because I kept falling asleep! I find your voice very soothing and the effort you put in humbling.

Thank you for your efforts, they are much appreciated by this stress bunny.

57. Mary on August 27th, 2010 8:51 am

You are welcome, Alexis. Glad the meditations are so relaxing for you and thanks for taking the time to comment.

58. Diane on September 26th, 2010 6:16 am

I love your guided meditations. I actually find your voice very neutral, which is good for me, at least! I was wondering if you had any guided meditations for walking, but not the labrynth walking, just regular exercise walking.

59. Mary on September 26th, 2010 8:55 am

Diane, good to hear you’re enjoying the meditations. We do have an album of 3 guided meditations for walking, available for purchase as an mp3 download: http://meditationoasis.com/store/walking-meditation-mp3.php

60. jeff on October 5th, 2010 10:53 am

i listened to you podcast for the first time last night and the first thing that came to mind is that you have one of the best female speaking voices i have ever heard. i love it. i also dig the synth pad. can you sing? i think you two should start a new wave band on the side. keep up the good work!

61. Mary on October 6th, 2010 9:07 am

Hi jeff, Glad you enjoyed the podcast! Believe it or not, we made an album years ago — Richard’s music, my voice. By the time we finished the album, the songs didn’t seem to reflect our direction anymore and we went on to other things. Thanks for bringing back the memory!

62. violinka on October 15th, 2010 2:39 pm

I found some of your words comforting and inspiring, especially those about expressing yourself and offering something valuable to those with whom we resonate. It took me a long time to learn to value myself as a unique being, and to accept that not everybody will like me or what I have to offer. Your words are a comfort of hearing a confirmation of my new understanding and maturity of thinking.
    And I have a question – where can I listen to Richard’s music? Have not yet had the pleasure of hearing it…

63. Mary on October 15th, 2010 3:20 pm

violinka, you can listen to Richard’s music on our Listen to Our Podcast page. Episode #6 is Richard’s music alone (as opposed to background music for my meditations). Here’s a direct link to use to listen: http://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast/listen-to-podcast/

We do have two albums of his music in our Shop as well — Pure Light and Sleep Oasis. Best wishes.

64. Ben on January 12th, 2011 12:14 am

Hi Mary,

Your voice is top of the league (next to Paul McKenna :-) )

I love your apps. Yesterday, I used the simply being and I melted while my heart became warm and soft.

Love

Ben

65. Mary on January 12th, 2011 9:42 am

Thank you for your kind words, Ben. What a beautiful experience you had!

66. Regina on May 10th, 2011 5:05 pm

This post was really valuable for me. I’m pretty new at creating/writing guided imagery meditations and just this past weekend I felt like quitting, feeling as though there was just no point in doing it.

But there are people who listen, who like it, and for now I guess I’ll continue. Thanks for your post. It’s encouraging.

Do you have any advice for writing guided meditations? Does it just come with practice or is there a resource I can turn to?

Gratefully,

regina

67. Mary on May 12th, 2011 2:24 pm

Regina, Sounds like you are already creating meditations people like. I can’t help you with writing meditations, because I do not prepare scripts. I close my eyes, get into a meditative state, and speak out the meditations from my intuition. Best wishes.

68. Eleanor on June 26th, 2011 5:50 am

First of all, I would like to say that, among all the guided relaxation or meditations I’ve listened to, I find Mary’s voice warm, gentle and soothing. But the most important thing is that the speed of Mary’s guided meditations is appropriate. Not too slow, not too fast, but flowing according to the natural pace of the meditation so that I have enough time to understand and savour each part of the meditation. The other meditations I’ve listened to are too fast in giving directions.

69. Richard on January 19th, 2014 3:16 am

I LIKE that you sound like a Valley Girl! A tipsy Valley Girl. Your meditations are of great comfort to me. Thank you :)

70. Mary on January 19th, 2014 10:45 am

Richard, wow, not only a valley girl, but a tipsy one