Winter as Meditation

January 15, 2010

A friend just shared a beautiful poem she wrote about winter. Although the title of the poem is Winter’s Resurgence, I titled this post “Winter as Meditation”, because for me winter is a season of meditation. It brings an invitation to go within.

In the dormancy of winter, all sorts of things are going on underground and these underground stirrings are the foundation of the blossoming of spring. In the same way, the deep rest of meditation is a foundation for creativity and productivity when meditation is finished.

Here is K’s poem. It spoke to me on so many levels and in so many different ways, but I’ll be quiet now, like winter, and let the poem reveal its special meaning for you. I’d love to hear what it means to you…

Winter’s Resurgence

Winter has come upon us with her
majestic stillness and fierce storms
Blanketing us in her winter’s lair
Beckoning us to breath in rhythm

And it is here that I speak my prayer:

‘Take a part of me deep into your forested womb
Keep me there, giving me rest, away from worldly
desires and despairs
Cover me with your insight and love
Hold me like there is no where else to go, nothing
more to become
Heal me of my tired and disenchanted ways
Let me be still inside, my belly connected with yours
like the dormant snake of winter lying securely in you’

And when your mists begins to lift, may your
nurturing womb flow me out and birth me new

K. McCauley A.
Winter’s Resurgence 12/20/08~1/13/10
kmac@iscweb.com
dedicated to Sarah Dole, teacher and friend

Comments

7 Responses to “Winter as Meditation”

1. Twitter Trackbacks for Winter as Meditation | Meditation Oasis [meditationoasis.com] on Topsy.com on January 15th, 2010 10:42 pm

[...] Winter as Meditation | Meditation Oasis http://www.meditationoasis.com/2010/01/15/winter-as-meditation – view page – cached A friend just shared a beautiful poem she wrote about winter. Although the title of the poem is Winter’s Resurgence, I titled this post Winter as Meditation, [...]

2. rice on January 16th, 2010 3:38 am

Lovely poem. I’ve been trying to get into a winter spirit for the last 2 years. It’s still a challenge for me, but this poem seems to embody all that I try to appreciate about the winter season. Will read it every time I get a little depressed about the cold and darkness. Thanks for sharing.

3. Mary on January 16th, 2010 10:20 am

You’re welcome, rice. I feel much the same way about this poem. I am also challenged by winter, but when I let myself stay in and “hibernate”, the whole feeling of winter shifts for me.

4. Stephen on January 20th, 2010 10:50 pm

Beautiful poem and makes me think to the English winters I left behind me last year, I did feel a little strange celebrating summer solstice here in Australia when before I would have been celebrating winter solstice in the UK. Please keep up the beautiful work! Lux :)

5. Mary on January 21st, 2010 10:47 am

Stephen, that would feel strange! Summer in January isn’t something I ever thought about until I got connected to so many people all over the world through the podcast and website. It actually shifts the awareness somehow to know that whatever you are experiencing, someone else is experiencing the opposite. It’s expansive!

6. Mary on January 31st, 2010 9:26 pm

There are several lines that resonate, the first being “Beckoning us to breathe in rhythm.” This winter for the first time I have let go and given in to the season, finally breathing in unison with it, rather than fighting it.
    “Hold me like there is nowhere else to go, nothing
    more to become
    Heal me of my tired and disenchanted ways”
    These words reflect the letting go that I have felt, allowing the season to work its healing ways and magically transform in whatever way it wishes.
    I’m so glad you led me to read this beautiful poem, Mary!
    Hugs, M

7. Mary on February 1st, 2010 10:53 am

Thank you, Mary, for your reflections on the poem. It brought me back to revisit it and see it more deeply!