Opening the Heart Guided Meditation

January 5, 2010

Many of us long to have a more open heart, to be able to give and receive more freely. We want to experience more love more easily, but it can be so difficult at times. The heart chakra is the gateway to loving connection with others. At the same time, it contains pain from past hurts. This meditation gives you the opportunity to relax into whatever the heart may hold, allowing held emotions to resolve and the loving energy in the heart to be felt.

The meditation takes you through a number of steps. First you relax. Then you connect with your heart, simply being present to whatever you experience. This is followed by visualization to help you expand the energy of the heart and connect with others. As always, be creative with the visualization and use it a way that works for you.

I’ve had many requests for a meditation for compassion and forgiveness. I do think these will come about, but hopefully this meditation will speak to these themes as well. Both compassion and forgiveness require the ability to be present to pain, our own as well as that of others. Both require an open heart.

I hope the meditation serves you well, and would love to hear about your experiences with it. (Listen to it here.)

Comments

42 Responses to “Opening the Heart Guided Meditation”

1. Twitter Trackbacks for Opening the Heart Guided Meditation | Meditation Oasis [meditationoasis.com] on Topsy.com on January 5th, 2010 2:27 pm

[...] Opening the Heart Guided Meditation | Meditation Oasis http://www.meditationoasis.com/2010/01/05/ – view page – cached Many of us long to have a more open heart, to be able to give and receive more freely. We want to experience more love more easily, but it can be so difficult [...]

2. Gerard on January 7th, 2010 3:04 am

It would of been nice to have had a link to the pod cast em bedded in the text like you some times do.

3. Mary on January 7th, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks for pointing this out, Gerard. Forgot that detail this time and will take care of it now.

4. Sarah on January 12th, 2010 10:29 am

I sat with this meditation last night and thought I would share my experience with you, because it really touched me.

I’ve been going through a difficult time, and I initially felt my heart was cold and unresponsive, as though it had shut down. As I moved through the meditation I began to cry. I was able to give love out but when I visualized receiving it, the tears just were pouring out. When I probed and felt the pain and the love, the tears flowed and flowed though I hardly intended it. I just kept trying to focus on the visualisation.

There’s a lot I don’t understand about the world, and about spirituality, and about meditation, but this really did something to me, and I suspect it was something good. Thank you, Mary and Richard.

5. Mary on January 12th, 2010 1:21 pm

Sarah, thank you for sharing this very moving experience. I’m sure this was something good! Sounds like your heart was ready for a profound opening, and with this there can be both the pain and the love. You were able to let that all in.

Just a note. You say you kept trying to focus on the visualization. That’s fine, but let it be a very easy focus. You never need to strain with these meditations to stay focussed on something. A very powerful experience, or even just thoughts, can take our attention away from the focus. That’s alright. Just come back to the focus of the meditation when it’s easy, and in an easy way. It can also happen that the visualization goes on at the same time that other experiences are happening. Both are happening at once.

Best wishes!

6. Iris Whittington on January 31st, 2010 4:44 am

Listened to the first meditation, Opening the Heart, this morning. I am just re-learning to meditate. I was quite moved and am grateful. Thank you! Iris

7. Mary on January 31st, 2010 10:02 am

You’re welcome, Iris. Great that you are starting to meditate again!

8. Eliot on March 4th, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks so much for all the content you provide. It’s great to be able to have access to such guided meditations free of charge (as well as the music!), as well as having some blog posts to complement that. Your work seems to be really benefiting a lot of people!

9. Mary on March 5th, 2010 11:35 am

You are welcome, Eliot. Our work is so fulfilling, and hearing from people like you keeps us inspired. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

10. Elon on March 11th, 2010 1:34 pm

Thank you so much for providing these free of charge. Going through so much right now (ending of romantic relationship, having no job, having no luck with job search, running out of money). I’m so happy to have found this site. These help with the stress and overwhelming emotions so much. God bless you. May your generosity be returned to you many-fold!

11. Mary on March 11th, 2010 1:52 pm

You are so welcome, Elon. We’re so pleased the meditations are helping and thank you for your kind words. We wish you well with everything!

12. Rachel on April 4th, 2010 3:42 pm

I felt a significant release with tears when trying this meditation. I split with an ex over four years ago. I still love him dearly and after bumping into him several times over this time, my intuition tells me he still loves me, but obviously we are not meant to be. I haven’t been able to move on at all romantically as I haven’t been able to let go of this past relationship. My heart shut for business to anyone else. I’m really hoping this meditation will eventually help me move on and find love again.

13. Mary on April 5th, 2010 9:38 am

Rachel, this is moving to read. An open heart does mean that we feel hurt and grieve, and we have to grieve a loss to be able to move on. It’s not easy, but so worth it. You might also want to try the Guided Meditation for Grief. We wish you the best.

14. joe on June 29th, 2010 10:58 am

Dear Mary,
    I have been doing your open the heart meditation podcasts very frequently. I would say about 10 times in the last three weeks. But for the last 4 or 5 days I am feeling nauseated. If I am not mistaken this particular meditation is an opening the heart chakra meditation.
    On some websites it is said that if we concentrate on only 1 chakra there can be side effects like nausea and amongst other things personality disorders. I was a bit worried so I thought it best to write to you. Am I doing something wrong by just doing one of the meditations.
    Joe

15. Mary on July 1st, 2010 10:02 am

Hi Joe, it’s hard to answer a question like this without knowing more about you and what is going on. The nausea could be due to a lot of things. I can say, though, that doing that particular meditation that often could cause you to process things too fast. Why don’t you stop using that meditation for awhile and see if you feel better, then use it less often. Sometimes we’re in a hurry to change or get through something, but we need to pace ourselves and stay balanced and comfortable.

16. Rebecca on August 26th, 2010 6:57 am

Mary, I love your work! I’m grateful for the clarity and compassion that shines through in this meditation. Beautiful. I’ll be sure to send readers and listeners your way!

17. Mary on August 26th, 2010 9:14 am

Thank you for your kind words, Rebecca, so glad you enjoyed the meditation. Just visited your site and love your post about falling in love with yourself. All the best to you.

18. Guided Meditations to Relax and Restore Mind, Body and Spirit | Rebecca Arora on August 30th, 2010 3:19 am

[...] a lack of love? Open the Heart with this Meditation Stuck in a creative rut? Enhance Your [...]

19. Deborah Bray on July 16th, 2011 7:58 am

I enjoy this mediation Opening the Heart Meditation, I was wondering if you can send me a meditation for wellness, I am a breast cancer survivor and now have been told I have bone cancer and cancer of my liver, I would like to meditation for healing my body, is there one available…
    Deborah

20. Mary on July 17th, 2011 8:53 am

Deborah, there are two meditations especially for healing in the podcast. Check out our Listen to Our Podcast page. We wish you well.

21. kris on December 5th, 2012 6:02 am

I am struggling a lot w/my teenage son. We have a very tempestuous relationship at times. He has a mood disorder and it is like walking on eggshells. Not only do I have to provide more positivity to him but to myself so I can radiate that to him. This kind of meditation is so extremely helpful. I thank you eternally for what you do.

22. Mary on December 5th, 2012 9:47 am

Kris, you are so welcome, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m so glad that meditation is helping you with this difficult situation. Your son is fortunate to have such a compassionate parent.

23. Chris on December 27th, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks for posting this material. I have recently started meditating and find this site very helpful. today I tried this one , Opening heart…
    Must tell you , I felt there must be something wrong with me because I couldn’t feel my heart! and slowly I drifted off, I was kinda in a trance state and the words did ring in my ear but didn’ t mean anything to me. It was strange, usually I follow pretty well, can be my heart chacra is totally closed off due to old, unresolved grief, and loss? Thanks so much, Chris

24. Mary on December 27th, 2012 5:28 pm

You are welcome, Chris. It’s possible that it is as you say, there could be some reason that you are not connecting with your heart and that could be to avoid pain. You will need to explore this more. It’s also possible that for some reason you slipped into a deep meditative state and that it was a coincidence that it was on this meditation. But it’s more likely the former explanation since you tried and were unable to feel your heart. Almost everyone has some unresolved grief. Be patient with it! You might also try the Breath in the Heart meditation which might make it easier to connect. Keep us posted!

25. Chris on January 10th, 2013 7:52 am

Hi , it’s Chris again (same as last comment). Thanks for the reply. I followed your suggestions and it is getting better. I found out I have been somewhat blocked and it is beginning to flow. I have been practising more and found out many amazing things about meditation. Like, my mind is sharper: like I rembember things more clearly, and for example, I can find things much quicker than I used to, like if I don’t know where I have left my keys or my shoes (yeah I am a bit untidy :-), I don’t spend precious minutes looking all over the house for them, this image of where I left them comes right up to my mind, and it is always right. You’ll tell me if this is just coincidence or if it has to do with meditation. In any case, thanks very much! :-)

26. Mary on January 10th, 2013 10:26 am

Chris, I’m so glad to hear you are able to connect in more with your heart now. We need to be patient with ourselves and our process and clearly you’ve been able to do that. I would say it’s highly like that your mind is more clear due to meditation. Meditation allows us to settle the agitation of the mind. When the mind is more settled, we can access our intuition. Having the image of where you left the keys is a great example of intuition. You are so very welcome, and thank you for you dedication to meditating!

27. Doreen on January 20th, 2013 6:07 am

Very beautiful! My heart is fully open and so warm. Your voice is wonderful and soothing. The right speed and nice music in the background! I just love it! Thank you very much!!! This is awesome! I am sure I will return again and again and maybe include this in my regular meditation practise. Love and Light from Germany!

28. Mary on January 20th, 2013 9:59 am

Doreen, thank you for adding your sweet words, and you are welcome! It’s wonderful that you were able to open up in this way. Love and light back to you from here…

29. Sheamus on January 31st, 2013 8:28 pm

Thank you. This was an well guided meditation with just the right kind of visualization cues. It really helped me to find a way into my hart and deal with some pain that’s been floating there for a long time.

30. Mary on February 1st, 2013 11:11 am

Wishing you well as you continue on your journey, Seamus. I’m glad to hear that the meditation helped and you’re very welcome.

31. Andrea on February 17th, 2013 9:17 am

Your meditation was where I could find it when I needed it. Through a long story with many off-shoots let me say my heart had a lot of protection put around it over the years. Yoga, a class, and then this are helping me open up again. You want to know what happened during this meditation? Going someplace both far inward and far away so I couldn’t hear your voice for a while, tears. Not just tears, grief that came from a core place. Then these waves of calm, serene. Light. Both in body coming my rom my heart related to weight and brightness. Beauty. Seeing my heart, And randomly an answer to questions. These words don’t capture all that happened, but I want you to know that what you have done is a huge kindness to people you don’t know. Thanks.

32. Mary on February 17th, 2013 12:10 pm

Andrea, thank you for sharing this beautiful experience with us. How fortunate that your heart is opening like this! It is inspiring to read this. You are so very welcome!

33. Bryce on October 1st, 2013 7:47 am

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, is all i have to say.

34. Mary on October 1st, 2013 10:18 am

Bryce, you are welcome from the bottom of our hearts — Mary & Richard

35. Louise on October 8th, 2013 5:16 pm

Mary & Richard thank you both for such wonderful meditations. My heart is healing because of your soothing guidance and calming music. Your generosity to give this website freely to all who are in need is a testament to your hearts. Please accept my sincere and warm gratitude from my ‘shining heart’.

36. Mary on October 10th, 2013 4:06 pm

Louise, Richard and I are grateful to all of you who have opened your hearts to our meditation and music. We’re so glad your heart is healing and feel fortunate to play a part in that. You are very welcome and we wish you well on your healing journey.

37. Hermann on April 29th, 2014 2:07 pm

Really liked the meditation really helped me. It took me away from my head, which has been ignoring my heart for so long. Nearly cried at one point.

38. Mary on May 1st, 2014 4:49 pm

We’re so glad to hear this, Hermann! Thank you for taking the time to tell us.

39. Wilson Morton on August 6th, 2014 11:37 am

The tapes by the woman who did this tape is the best I have ever heard. I don’t know her name, but I would love to buy a cd of her podcasts.

How do I go about doing it.

40. Mary on August 7th, 2014 9:06 am

Wilson, we have only one CD with meditations from the podcast (and it contains 4 of the meditations). We give you permission, however, to download the mp3s of the meditations in the podcast and burn them to a CD for your own personal use.

41. sanchari bhattacharya on September 23rd, 2014 5:22 pm

Hello :)
    Thank you so much for sharing the podcast firstly.
    I have been trying to practice meditation for quiet some time now and to be honest i am not really good at it. I think i am way more focused on my mind and where it takes me.. For eg..i am not sure whether i am feeling something or imagining or thinking i am feeling something. I don’t know whether i can explain this properly..
    I think i have become self obsessed and selfish..maybe even emotionally unavailable to others. Maybe meditation will help open up my heart.
    Mostly i think it’s fear that blocks love out. Can you please give me some advice on how to be honest and present during meditation without the mind interfering?
    Once again.. Thank you very much.

Ps- i had an episode of paranoia and psychosis around a year and a half back and i am having trouble to let go of the experiences that led up to it and the way it affected me inside.

42. Mary on September 25th, 2014 1:57 pm

sanchari, firstly, you are welcome! With regard to the episode or paranoia and psychosis, I would recommend that you work with a therapist (psychiatrist, psychologist, social work counselor) to follow up with this and get help with the causes. As for meditation, the best guidance I can give you is in the guided meditations that are in our podcast, CDs and apps. But please check with your health care provider about meditation and whether it is a good idea with your background.