Finding Harmony in Diversity with Meditation

December 22, 2009

I’ve been finding myself deeply affected lately by a growing awareness of the tremendous diversity of our Meditation Oasis “family”. Facebook more than anything has made me aware of how different we all are and yet we are drawn together by our common human experience and the deepest aspects of our inner life which we reach through meditation.

From time to time I like to click on the faces on the Facebook page. It’s been so fulfilling to see people living in so many different countries with such different interests. Many of us could probably fall into heated discussions with each other at the drop of a hat over politics and find ourselves world’s apart in our musical tastes. Yet we can all sit together and meditate and experience a place of complete harmony.

Many of us are busy with holidays now, but some are not. We all experienced the solstice yesterday, but for some it signaled the shortest day of the year while for others it was the longest. We moved into winter where I live, but some of you are experiencing summer. Awareness of these differences has caused me to pause before sending a year end message. Yesterday instead of writing “Merry Christmas” and “Happy Hanukah” (which most people celebrate where I live), I found myself looking for a more universal greeting. I could have sent out a “Happy Solstice” message, I suppose. We all experience the changing seasons thanks to the tilt of the earth moving around the sun. But then I remembered that for people on or near the Equator, the Solstice doesn’t mean much. All of this has brought me to this place today where I want to send a different kind of message, one that we can all relate to no matter what we all do or don’t celebrate and believe.

As I searched for the perfect holiday/non-holiday message, I remembered the message Richard and I have often used. That’s the message I’d like to send to you all today. I think it’s something we can all relate to and a desire every human being shares. And it’s something many of us move toward through meditation —

We wish you a peaceful mind and an open heart.”

Comments

10 Responses to “Finding Harmony in Diversity with Meditation”

1. Twitter Trackbacks for Finding Harmony in Diversity with Meditation | Meditation Oasis [meditationoasis.com] on Topsy.com on December 22nd, 2009 4:38 pm

[...] Finding Harmony in Diversity with Meditation | Meditation Oasis http://www.meditationoasis.com/2009/12/22/finding-harmony-diversity-meditation – view page – cached I’ve been finding myself deeply affected lately by a growing awareness of the tremendous diversity of our Meditation Oasis family. Facebook more than anything [...]

2. karthik on December 22nd, 2009 4:45 pm

Nice message Mary, I whole heartedly wish the same for everyone. What else does one need when the mind is at peace and the heart is open and healed of past hurts.

3. Helen on December 22nd, 2009 8:49 pm

A beautiful message and one we should all strive towards.

Happy Christmas.

4. Lotus on January 16th, 2010 1:32 am

That is such a Beautiful heart touching greeting!

Open heart in Chinese means joy and happiness.

It’s so awesome to think of being one part of this diverse global family. So awesome to think of this one thread that links all our hearts together within such a diversity.

I am deeply grateful for your great work and generous sharing.

May all the Peace, Joy and Happiness you brought to others be returned to you in many folds.

Happy New Year! Happy New Life!

5. Mary on January 16th, 2010 10:16 am

Happy New Year, Lotus. Thank you for this beautiful, open-hearted comment!

6. Su Wild-River on May 17th, 2010 1:47 pm

Greetings. I have been meaning to say ‘thank you’ for some time now, so Thank You. I downloaded a set of meditations from this site about 3 months ago. I have been going through very challenging times and have been using the meditations 1-3 times every day. I can’t describe just how much they have helped me, or how grateful I am. Mary Maddox’s voice, timing and the words themselves are so perfect, and I would have been in a very different, and inferior space without them. Thanks again. Su

7. Mary on May 18th, 2010 8:56 am

You are so welcome, Su. Thank you for taking the time to comment. It’s inspiring to us to get this kind of feedback!

8. The Yin Yang of the Solstice | Meditation Oasis on June 21st, 2010 12:00 pm

[...] Related post: Musings on the Winter Solstice six months ago — Finding Harmony in Diversity with Meditation [...]

9. Eleanor on August 31st, 2010 7:25 pm

It’s interesting to note that meditation is something universal. Whether we have a religious belief or not, we all find ourselves meditating at certain times of our lives. Perhaps meditation is an innate ability that every human being has. I wonder if animals meditate too? (I’m just joking, but a cat sitting near the window and looking onto the street does seem like meditating!)

10. Mary on September 1st, 2010 8:40 am

Eleanor, yes! I feel sure meditation IS an innate human ability. It can and does happen spontaneously, and can be experienced without a practice. Practices just set up a situation where it’s easier for it to happen (well, the right practice for the right person…)