Relief from Stress and Pressure Guided Meditation

July 27, 2009

Although many people have reported stress relief from our meditations, we’ve still had requests for a special meditation for stress. This inspired me to create this latest podcast — a meditation that goes further and helps to root out the stress at a deeper level.

Like all the guided meditations I create, I am meditating as I speak. I am literally meditating with you. Since I was feeling a lot of pressure on the day I recorded this meditation, I found myself sinking deeply into my own experience and talking my way through it. I actually felt a lot better after I finished the recording! I hope your experience is the same.

Acting under a sense of pressure doesn’t help us accomplish what we need to do. In fact, the feeling of pressure can interfere. Our energy is actually being dissipated and our attention scattered as we are in an over-stimulated state. In reality, we are able to accomplish a lot more when we are relaxed. Our minds are clearer and all of our energy can go toward the task at hand rather than into pressuring ourselves. And of course, it’s extremely unpleasant to feel pressured.

Relaxation is the antidote to that pressured state. It’s an antidote for stress. It’s so difficult, though, to relax once we’re feeling that kind of pressure. We feel as if we have to meet its demands! We hesitate to take the time to relax. So it’s important understand that taking the time to relax will actually help us accomplish more.

Also, it can be challenging to sit still with that feeling of pressure. It may be accompanied by unpleasant feelings such as anxiety, irritability and so on. Continuing to be focused on a task keeps us from feeling the inner discomfort that is propelling us. To allow deep relaxation to happen, we need to be able to be present to the emotions and bodily sensations associated with the stress and pressure. Being able to sit with those feelings and and sensations and experience them completely helps them to resolve. It allows the tensions to unwind.

Using this meditation regularly should help develop a habit of noticing when a sense of pressure is present and then backing off. The more we respond the the pressure, the more pressured we feel. Our muscles tighten and our emotions escalate in their intensity. This meditation can help you develop new ways of responding to stress, ways which help create more balance and ease.

At the end of the meditation, you have the option of continuing on your own with the music. Be creative — use the various strategies that were used during the meditation in the way that works best for you. Some of the things mentioned were noticing the breath, feeling what the pressure feels like, being fully present to the emotions, noticing tension in the body and letting it go. Let your intuition guide you. You can learn to relieve the stress and pressure using your own inner knowing. You just need to take the time to listen.

Comments

10 Responses to “Relief from Stress and Pressure Guided Meditation”

1. Pj on August 26th, 2009 3:58 am

Hi Mary,

I am so glad i found your free podcasts on itunes. The relief from stress meditation is the one i have found most useful. I have an extremely stressful job and it has been getting to be too much lately. The idea that i will accomplish more in a relaxed state really hit home with me. I simply wanted to say thankyou and let you know that your pressure free approach was very refreshing indeed.

2. Mary on August 26th, 2009 9:23 am

You are welcome, Pj. I’m glad this approach is helping you!

3. Ashleigh on November 19th, 2009 2:32 pm

Dear Mary,

I have been wanting to meditate for a long time and your meditations, with their “easy,” non-resistant approach have been so excellent as they’ve taken away the silly pressure of ‘having to meditate’ I put on myself. Instead, your meditations make meditationing into a much more simple and relaxed experience.
    Thank you very much. I finally feel like I can settle into the routine of meditation with the way in which you approach meditations.
    What you are doing on this website is so amazingly beneficial to humanity.
    I was wondering if you had thought of doing an full progressive muscle relaxation mp3?
    The mini relaxation break is very close but what about one that goes through the full body?
    Although I know I should just allow and simply be present to noticing a tensed brow whilst meditating, it sometimes puts me off and for that reason I think that a PMR meditation as a buffer to other meditations would be great.
    There is this great one from the Silva Ultra Mind website (it’s free) that has easily relaxed me to the point of not being aware of my body at all. It was a rather amazing experience.
    The thing is is that the Silva Ultra Mind one is part of a system or set process (the “three to one” method of relaxation).
    I have searched the internet high and low to find one of the same quality and length (roughly 20 minutes) that has no attached dogma but have had no such luck.
    That is why I thought i’d leave a comment here. All your meditations are effective, in my opinion that is, and your voice is very, very relaxing.
    Anyhow, thank you for reading my comment :). I’ve noticed you read and reply to all comments – that is so lovely and considerate. Your a great catalyst for learning (I wont say teacher :)), you do your job throughly.

Warm Regards,
    Ashleigh from the little country at the bottom of the globe- New Zealand.

4. Mary on November 19th, 2009 7:00 pm

Hello Ashleigh (way down there at the bottom of the globe!).

There’s a meditation, about 20 minutes long, on our Pure Relaxation CD that is along the lines of progressive muscle relaxation (but not in the traditional way of doing it where you tense and relax muscles). It does go through the whole body, though, guiding you to be aware of tension in the various parts of the body and to let it go. The Pure Relaxation album is also available as an mp3 download. It’s not free, but the sales help support the website and our podcast.

I’m glad you’ve been able to bring meditation into your life. You are very welcome!

5. alison on December 19th, 2012 11:22 am

are any of your meditations useful for kids and coping with worries and stress?

6. Mary on December 19th, 2012 2:24 pm

Allison, we have a Sleep Meditation for Children on the podcast, and parents have used other meditations for their children. Many of them are simple enough for children (depending on age) to follow. You can check through the meditations on our podcast and see which would be appropriate. Also we have reports that people have used some of the meditations on our apps for children, for example the Take a Break app, which is free.

7. Jessi on August 16th, 2013 10:20 am

Wanted to say thanks for the meditation podcasts. I have used them many times over the last 4 years. This is a wonderful resource.

8. Mary on August 17th, 2013 1:22 pm

That’s wonderful, Jessi! You’re very welcome.

9. Alfredo Ochoa on March 27th, 2014 11:16 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time in making these podcasts. I have benefited so much. This is the only guided meditation I truly enjoy. Much love!

10. Mary on March 30th, 2014 10:18 am

You are so welcome, Alfredo! We’re so glad you have benefitted from the podcast meditations. Thank you for taking the time to comment. All the best to you!