Let it Be Guided Meditation

June 26, 2009

Our latest podcast, Let it Be Guided Meditation, is a variation on a theme. It’s the same theme that gave birth to the Simply Being, Effortless, and Letting Go meditations. It’s a theme that can be approached from many angles and given many names, but all of the names can be misleading. All these meditations point you to experience the essence of meditation. The words — effortless, letting go, simply being — are all meant to invoke a state of being that can’t be put into words.

I also use the phrase “let yourself be” in the meditation. That’s pretty easy to relate to. Being someone who tends to be hard on myself, I need to remind myself to let myself be quite a lot! But what is letting IT be?

What does it mean to “let it be”? Are there any words that can really capture what the meditative experience is like? What did those words mean to Paul Mc Cartney when he wrote Let it Be? What does it mean to you?

**** NEW — look for Meditation Oasis on Facebook and Twitter!

Comments

11 Responses to “Let it Be Guided Meditation”

1. Clint on June 26th, 2009 12:19 pm

I am looking forward to your series on anxiety. I have been using your meditations for months and they have helped me develop my practice. I also use your recordings to help patients relax as a social worker. Thanks.

2. Mary on June 26th, 2009 5:17 pm

You’re welcome, Clint. Good to hear you can use the meditations both for your patients and to develop your practice. As a former social worker, it’s especially nice to hear from you!

3. Yvonne on June 26th, 2009 11:48 pm

I’d like to thank you for the Guided Meditations I used when recovering from Bi-Lateral Mastectomies.
    Sounds horrible doesn’t it? Painful too, actually.. but your Meditations helped me to be in so many totally relaxed states over the course of my recovery – daytime as well as nite times.
    I was able to go to a place of peacefulness and calm in my Spirit, fell asleep much easier and as a result of all this wonderful centeredness through meditation, I know I healed much faster than expected.
    Physically, mentally and emotionally.

I’ve since recommended your site to my Surgeons to pass along to other female cancer patients…

So Thank You ~ You have no idea how much this meant to me.

4. Mary on June 27th, 2009 9:46 am

You are welcome, Yvonne. Thank YOU for taking the time to share your experience with me. I am so very sorry you had to go through that — it must have been incredibly painful. I’m so grateful that the meditations helped you — that means everything to me…

I wish you well in the days ahead.

5. patti on June 29th, 2009 3:08 am

dear mary

i was so excited to see your latest meditation podcast this evening!

the effortless; letting go; simply being; meditations are my favourites and i have recommended them to many people.
    they take all the pressure out of meditation (am i doing it right? is this what is supposed to be happening? if not this, then what is supposed to be happening?) and reduce it to bare essentials.
    i just love the feeling of calm and acceptance thus invoked.
    and i have no trouble getting people who have never meditated before to listen to these meditations right to the end. (i get visitors to try it out, on our sofa, with the doors closed, while we go to our workshop and leave them alone, and surprising numbers of people are ready to do this!).

so, the latest one looks to be along the same theme and in a few minutes, i shall be plugging in the ipod and listening to your soothing tones and lovely words.

thanks a million for the wonderful work you do
    patti.

6. Mary on June 29th, 2009 9:27 am

patti — It’s so much fun to hear from you. Found myself chuckling with the image of your visitors seated on your sofa listening to meditations as you go to your workshop!

I do like to add one of these meditations from time to time that, as you say, “reduce(s) it to bare essentials”.

You are welcome a million — thanks for stopping by. (And I loved seeing the yummy looking soaps on your website and have bookmarked your blog.)

7. Jan on July 3rd, 2009 12:28 pm

Mary, Thank you for your Let It Be guided meditation. I have only recently discovered your podcasts, and this one was especially beneficial. In my fast-paced and demanding life, it is great to stop and just Be sometimes. Your podcast really helped with that.

Thank you !!

8. Mary on July 5th, 2009 8:50 am

You are welcome, Jan. So glad you enjoyed this one — I really enjoyed doing it with my group.

9. Eleanor on September 10th, 2010 8:35 pm

My very first lesson at the seminary college is Metaphysics — the study of “being as being”. The inspiring lectures help me become more sensitive towards the meaning of being in the “Let It BE” and “Simply BEING” guided meditations.

I am fully aware of the fact that the philosophical approach to the meaning of “being” can lead us to a different conclusion from the meditative approach. In philosophy, we look for the ultimate principles of things in the world, examine the language we use in making our arguments, reflecting on our experiences and draw conclusions logically. In meditation, it is an experiential approach, asking a question about being that is totally different from the philosophical approach.

In meditation, what “being” are we experiencing? Is it our being and the being of the things around us, or “being as being”, the ultimate principle of “being”? The answers to these questions will lead us to the meaning of “let it BE” and “simply BEING”.

I was reminded of a Jewish rabbi in the United States who talked about the creation of the world and explained the original meaning of the biblical phrase “let there be light”. This phrase should be translated as “Light, BE!” instead, if it is to reflect the full power of the Hebrew language.

The discussion can go on and on. I guess it will be an interesting topic for my thesis!

10. elizabeth on October 10th, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Mary,

This is one of my favorite meditations. It helped me get through an incredibly disappointing and hurtful experience at work. There were days I listened to it over and over. I am feeling better and it is still in my rotation.

thank you.

11. Mary on October 11th, 2011 2:05 pm

You are welcome, Elizabeth. We’re so glad the meditation is helping you!