Enhancing Creativity Guided Meditation

May 22, 2009

We’re all creative. Life is naturally creative and so are we. And yet so often our creativity seems to be stifled. There are millions of hits on Google for “creative blocks”. Once you’ve tasted the joy of creativity flowing easily, it’s extremely frustrating to hit those blocks. And if you are an artist, writer, musician or anyone whose work requires a lot of creativity, there’s a sense of pressure to create that in itself can hamper the creative process.

When the creative juices are flowing, it’s a high. It’s effortless. In fact, artists describe the creative process as one in which something simply comes through them. There’s a sense that “I” didn’t create this, it came on its own. It feels like a gift that comes spontaneously from a source outside ourselves. In fact, it’s the bypassing of the “me” who gets involved in trying to control the creation that allows the creativity to happen. It’s the “me” with all its doubts and anxiety about outcomes that becomes the block. It’s the “me” who wants to control the creation that gets in the way.

This latest podcast episode is designed to disarm the me, to help you drop into the natural flow of creativity that’s going on all the time in your own consciousness. Life is a flow of creativity. Our own consciousness is a flow of creativity. Ideas come, things get created naturally when we get out of the way.

Hope this meditation helps get your creative juices flowing. If you wish, you can use the meditation right before you do your creative work.  Just let go of any expectation of outcomes and enjoy the process!

Comments

9 Responses to “Enhancing Creativity Guided Meditation”

1. Janine Giles on May 25th, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks for the creativity meditation, Mary! It will help me develop my thoughts and creative expressions as I continue to study at school and fulfill my need to live in the moment — on my own and with others.

2. Mary on May 25th, 2009 6:03 pm

You are welcome, Janine. Best wishes with school and everything else!

3. yournontoxiclife on June 9th, 2009 7:46 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’ve never heard of meditation being able to open up creativity, but it makes sense! And you are right, this is so needed by many people! I can’t wait to try it.

4. Leah Whitehorse on March 6th, 2012 10:28 am

Hi Mary, I’m new to your blog and this is the first meditation I chose. You have a lovely, calming voice. I’m writing a novel at the moment and I’ve been struggling with one aspect that still hasn’t come to me. Your meditation really helped to let go of the struggle and trust the process. Thank you!

5. Mary on March 7th, 2012 10:29 am

That’s so good to hear, Leah. We wish you the best with your novel!

6. Diana on April 4th, 2012 8:15 am

Hello Mary. Thank you so much. This meditation was a godsend! Like Leah I am also writing a novel. But I feel stuck, like something is blocking me. Thank you so much for this meditation. Be blessed and thank you for all that you do for us.

7. Mary on April 4th, 2012 9:24 am

Diana, you are so welcome. Hope your creativity flows easily into the pages of your novel. Best wishes!

8. Branáin on May 23rd, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks for the post. As a writer, I’m always on the lookout for new meditation ideas, especially for creativity. I do yoga and meditation each day, but also include it as part of my writing practice.

9. Luna on February 7th, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this! Everyone needs to be creative, not only artists. You can be creative in your daily life, even if you are an accountant or a fireman, there is always a way to approach creativity