Deep Rest Guided Meditation

February 26, 2009

I’m convinced that adequate rest is the most important factor for our health and well-being. We’re a culture of “doers” and so we might think of exercise first. I’d say exercise is a close second to rest, but being well-rested is the foundation of everything — our physical, psychological and spiritual well-being. Being well-rested means getting enough sleep at night, and it means taking breaks when you need them during the day. It means not pushing yourself until you’re over-tired.

With this in mind, it’s surprising that it’s taken me this long to create this new podcast episode “Deep Rest Guided Meditation”. Even though many of the meditations will help with getting rest, this meditation goes further with it. The whole focus is to rest completely — to let go of everything going on in our lives and allow the whole system to get a deep rest. Just beginning the meditation with that intention starts the process in motion.

It’s so easy to overlook the importance of rest, even though it’s essential to absolutely everything we do. Most of us have a sleep deficit. Most of us don’t get enough rest. If you have to wake up with an alarm, you are probably not getting enough sleep.

To suggest that you get enough sleep and enjoy the luxury of being really well rested is quite a radical thing to do in our culture, and yet with enough rest you’ll not only feel better, but make better decisions and get more done. Sleep deprivation accounts for all sorts of accidents and mistakes.

Hopefully you will come out of this meditation feeling more rested and refreshed, but there is also the possibility that you will feel even more tired. That’s because of the accumulated fatigue under the surface. We tend to override that fatigue in our rush to get things done. When you relax in this meditation, you may begin to notice just how tired you actually are. If that is your experience, find a time when you can do the meditation and have extra time to rest afterwards. Try to get more sleep.

I promise you that getting enough rest will not mean you get less done! I know when I’m well rested, I can be more creative and productive, not to mention enjoying things more.

Comments

19 Responses to “Deep Rest Guided Meditation”

1. John on February 26th, 2009 1:42 pm

Thank you for the new meditation!

2. Mary on February 26th, 2009 1:55 pm

You’re welcome. Hope you enjoy it!

3. Mario on April 13th, 2009 8:17 pm

Wonderful. Thank you so much for this!

4. Mary on April 15th, 2009 8:43 am

You’re welcome — so glad you enjoyed it!

5. Anne Davis on April 21st, 2009 8:43 pm

I have slept better than I have in ages since this meditation came into my life and I am very grateful.

Anne

6. Mary on April 22nd, 2009 9:14 am

Great news, Anne! I’m grateful you had this experience…

7. Kathryn on May 5th, 2009 3:20 pm

This is a wonderful meditation. It creates a peaceful, positive frame of mind that enables wonderful rest. (Just don’t use it unless you want a nap – sleep is 99.9% guaranteed!)

8. jess on May 26th, 2009 10:12 am

I just had to share. Last night, I introduced meditation to my boyfriend with this podcast. He really enjoyed it. About two minutes into the meditation, as we were just settling down into our mats, our dog heaved a big sigh and burped like a human being. We both giggled until it hurt. It made me appreciate our dog, how he lives in the moment, and how he reminds us to be not so serious — and relax!

9. Mary on May 26th, 2009 10:30 am

:-) Your dog is a great meditation teacher, jess! Thanks for sharing this — it’s got me giggling!

10. Kirsten-Rose on May 26th, 2009 2:18 pm

Mary,

I am an incredibly busy 16 yr old and suffer constant headaches, causing trouble with concentrating and sleeping. However, since discovering your meditations on iTunes, I have relief from the constant pain and the stress is momentarily lifted. I find it much easier to relax and ‘be’.

Thank you so much – I’m going through important exams at the moment and the podcasts are definitely helping me.

Namasté,
    Kirsten-Rose

11. Mary on May 26th, 2009 4:59 pm

You are so welcome, Kirsten-Rose. I’m so glad the podcast is helping. Good luck with your exams!

12. Karen Lee on May 30th, 2009 1:01 am

This meditation really helped me sleep and may use it again tonight. Sleep is so precious and I’ve been having trouble forming regular patterns since I started a new self-employed phase of my career.

I wanted to ask you Mary, when you know you are physically exhausted and you have a brief break in the day, do you think it’s better to meditate to clear your mind and spirit, or just get the physical rest you need with a cat nap?

Thanks,
    Karen

13. Mary on May 30th, 2009 8:51 am

Good question, Karen. There’s no cut and dry answer for that. It depends on the kind of meditation you’re doing, for one thing. Some kinds of meditation require alertness and if you are really exhausted, it may be a strain to try to do them. The best thing is to listen to what your body and spirit are asking for!

14. Hannah on February 23rd, 2011 3:50 pm

This was the first of your meditations I discovered around a month ago (I am new to meditation) and I have been listening to one a day since. I just love how completely I can relax, let go, just be when listening to your voice and the meditations. I have been trying hard to deal with post natal depression and two crazy beautiful little children and your podcasts are truly helping me. Thank you.

15. Mary on February 24th, 2011 1:58 pm

Hannah, you are so very welcome. I’m so glad the meditations are helping. It’s wonderful that you’ve made this a daily part of your life. Keep it up!

16. 7 Tips for a Restful Night’s Sleep | Rebecca Arora on November 8th, 2011 6:13 pm

[…] and unwind Here’s a relaxing and restful guided meditation to help you unwind before […]

17. 7 Ways to Boost Your Resilience | Rebecca Arora on November 10th, 2011 3:03 am

[…] Sleep Here’s how I get a good night’s sleep. This guided meditation from Meditation Oasis can also soothe you into a restful […]

18. Petra on June 16th, 2014 6:06 pm

I have been suffering from lack of sleep how many months due to a very stressful time. I was suffering from the sort of symptoms one would expect from a lack of sleep. I am not a person who likes takes tablets and so when it was suggested I should try sleeping tablets I knew I had to try something new as I have never taken a sleeping tablet in my life!

I want to thank Mary and Richard for such an amazing pod cast as that has helped me tremendously!
    Petra

19. Mary on June 17th, 2014 10:03 am

Petra, you are so very welcome! It is fulfilling for Richard and I to know the podcast has helped you. Great news! Wishing you all the best…