Trust Guided Meditation Podcast

May 28, 2008

Our latest podcast episode is about trust in life and trust in oneself.  It’s about a very fundamental kind of trust.  It doesn’t have to do with trusting people or things, but with a basic sense that everything is all right just as it is in each moment.  Most importantly, it has to do with the sense that we are alright, just as we are.  This trust allows us to relax into the flow of life and living, rather than resisting what is happening.

We can learn this kind of trust in meditation as we learn to relax into whatever comes up in our experience.  You may notice that at times you resist what is happening.  You may feel your mind shouldn’t be filled with thoughts, and a resistance comes up.  Or you might try to push out a particular emotion.  You may also find there are times when you try to be a certain way.  Often people feel that since they are meditating, they should feel peaceful.  There can be an attempt to try to feel peaceful.  A kind of struggle comes up, a struggle with ourselves and with life.  This struggle comes from a lack of trust.

Everything that we experience is an expression of the natural flow of life.  The energy of life flows as thoughts, emotions, sensations in the body, sounds around us.  As we meditate, we can learn to let that flow happen without interference.  We can develop a basic sense of trust in life as we learn to trust what happens within ourselves.

Comments

11 Responses to “Trust Guided Meditation Podcast”

1. mo on June 28th, 2008 12:07 pm

Dear Mary and Richard,
    I feel so lucky to have found your podcasts, and have been meditating with them for a month and a half. This was something I couldn’t get into before this. so, thanks!!!
    My question is regarding to “surrender”, surrendering to Spirit, and to my life’s highest purpose.
    Among other guided meditations of yours, I have been using “letting go”….is letting go, the same as surrender? Or is surrender something more profound.
    Your thoughts are so welcome….
    in love & gratitude, Mo

2. Mary on June 28th, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Mo,

We feel lucky that you have found us and are glad you are able to meditate now.

I guess I’d want to answer your question with a question — do YOU feel that letting go is the same as surrender? What’s most important is what these words mean to you. There is no one truth about that out there, it’s all about what you find to be true.

It partly depends on what you mean by surrender. My view would be that they are one and the same, that if you let go of resistance to the natural flow of your life, you are surrendering.

What do you feel? How do you define “surrender”. I’d love to hear!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Mary

3. mo on June 28th, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks, Mary,
    iI am sure it is a matter of splitting hairs. Yet surrender sounds “stronger” to me…in the sense, that you are yielding control to another, in this case, Spirit. Whereas letting go for me is more of a release of something. Maybe an emotion I’ve held on too long, after it no longer serves me…or an old belief.

I love when you say, letting go of resistance…this is so important for me.
    Your podcasts are wonderful. I am so grateful for your support, clear thoughts and wonderful voice.

Thanks, mo

4. Mary on June 29th, 2008 9:16 am

You are so welcome, mo! Thanks for sharing you viewpoint on letting go vs. surrender. I do think the word surrender has been used to indicated yielding control to another. When viewed that way it is different than letting go and I like how you explain that difference.

I guess I’d just throw out the question — is Spirit “another” separate from you?

I love to explore these kinds of questions — thanks for bringing it up! Mary

5. mo on July 3rd, 2008 6:10 pm

Mary,
    point well taken….Spirit…Higher Self…all part of me, sometimes i am more aware of this than other times….
    maybe it is surrendering to my higher self…my higher aspirations…and as you say, letting go of resistance.
    i continue to enjoy your podcasts.
    happy 4th!
    mo

6. Mel on July 21st, 2008 8:19 pm

Dear Mary and Richard,

Thank you so very much for this wonderful podcast. I had been having trouble sleeping properly on and off for years, due to issues with anxiety and depression.

But for the last month or so, I’ve been listening to your podcast on my Ipod while I’m trying to sleep and it’s doing wonders for me. Not only am I falling asleep promptly, but I’m experiencing a complete night’s sleep without waking in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep.

Now your podcast is a solid part of my nightly routine, and thanks to that not only am I sleeping well, but I’m waking in the morning and not feeling sluggish or grumpy either, which I would have thought was impossible a few months ago.

Thank you so much, I look forward to more podcasts.

7. Mary on July 22nd, 2008 8:40 am

Mel, you are very welcome.

How inspiring for us to start our day hearing this from you! It’s so fulfilling for us to hear experiences like this. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Mary & Richard

8. pat gooderham on October 28th, 2008 2:00 pm

I am listening to the latest podcast episode and find that this is a great piece to get started with especially on the topic of trust!.

Thank you for your site.

9. Mary on October 29th, 2008 2:41 pm

You are welcome, Pat. To meditate deeply is certainly to trust…

10. Nancy on January 5th, 2011 2:50 pm

I listened to your “trust” podcast yesterday and to quote Oprah had an “AHA” moment when I realized I’ve not been trusting of myself. Being a new year I will try to listen to “my” voice and use it to make appropriate decisions as I move to “be” myself this year. I can’t tell you how much meditation is helping me. Thank you!

11. Mary on January 7th, 2011 9:59 am

Nancy, you are so welcome. How wonderful to feel more trust in oneself — it makes such a difference in our lives!