Nature Attunement Meditation

January 16, 2008

Why is time spent in nature so revitalizing and nourishing? Why does it make us feel so alive? Is there more to it than just taking a break and getting away from it all? My sense is that nature is like a tuning fork fork that attunes us to our life force, to our very being. Nature is like a mirror that reflects back to us the qualities that make up our bodies, minds, emotions and spirit. Depending on the kind of work we do and how we spend our time, we may become disconnected from those qualities and life can become somewhat dry and flat. Time spent in nature wakes us up, makes us feel more alive.

River rocksThe Nature Attunement Meditation is meant to bring much of the benefit of time spent in nature to us wherever we may be. This meditation focuses on the earth itself, creating an experience of grounding and strengthening. Water, sun and moon light, and plants also play a part in the meditation, as we attune to the essential elements that make up our lives and imbibe the energy and life of the vegetation of the earth.

This meditation is quite different from any of the previous ones on the podcast. It was a new experience for me to create it and I really enjoyed it. It will be interesting to hear how some of you respond to it.

Comments

23 Responses to “Nature Attunement Meditation”

1. Kyla on January 18th, 2008 9:00 pm

I just finished this meditation and really enjoyed the different approach. Also, I’d like to take the opportunity to thank you for all of the meditations you have recorded– they have helped me to learn how to relax and have also encouraged me to embrace the spiritual side of myself that I ignored for so long. Thank you thank you! :)

2. Mary on January 19th, 2008 9:38 am

You’re welcome you’re welcome! Thank you for stopping by and sharing your experience, Kyla. Mary

3. Meghan on January 20th, 2008 9:14 pm

I also just finished this mediation and want to thank you. This one really touched something deep in me and was very refreshing!

Thank you and please keep more meditations coming!

4. Mary on January 21st, 2008 9:35 am

You’re most welcome, Meghan. We do intend to keep the meditations coming.

I’m glad to hear this nature meditation is touching people. I’m considering doing a whole series of them on a CD, and this feedback encourages me in that direction. Thanks for commenting. Mary

5. Kerry on January 22nd, 2008 2:58 pm

After spending a busy day in the city, I felt physically exhausted and wrecked. I went to bed and listened to this meditation and it restored me back to a peaceful state. I’ve slept well and feel fresh today. Thank you for your work.

6. Mary on January 22nd, 2008 3:37 pm

That’s great — you are welcome, Kerry! Mary

7. Stacie on February 3rd, 2008 7:37 pm

LOVED this meditation–thank you so much for sharing your gift…..Stacie

8. Mary on February 4th, 2008 8:37 am

You’re welcome, Stacie. I’m happy that people are responding well to this meditation. I’m eager to explore this theme more!

9. Mark on February 8th, 2008 12:34 pm

I am looking forward to this one because I frequently go out to the shore of Lake Michigan here in Chicago and listen to your meditations while looking and listening to what the lake is doing.

Thank you, by the way, for your podcasts. They have really helped my practice.

10. Mary on February 8th, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Mark, Looking and listening to what the lake is doing is a beautiful meditation in itself! You’re welcome for the podcasts — it’s great to hear that they’ve helped your practice. Mary

11. Mark on February 10th, 2008 11:12 pm

Mary, yesterday, when I went out to the lake (bear in mind that Lake Michigan is a small ocean) I noticed that the waves were making the small bits of ice that were pressed against the rocks chime and ring like a sort aquatic wind chime.

I sat down on a snow-free rock and listened for a few minutes. When I stood up I realized several things–I never would have noticed the amazing sounds of the ice if I hadn’t started the process of being mindful; I would not have been able to sit and listen to that amazing sound if I were not immersing myself in the process of meditation, and that one of your regular phrases–“doesn’t matter”–has made it much easier for me to bring silence into my life and to experience moments like this.

12. Mary on February 11th, 2008 8:57 am

How beautiful, Mark! Thank you for sharing this experience. Mary

13. Kaitlin on April 6th, 2008 2:46 pm

This has been my absolute favorite meditation! Please please keep more like this coming! Thanks!

14. Mary on April 7th, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks for letting us know, Kaitlin. Actually, I’m planning on doing a whole CD of nature meditations. The responses I’ve been getting on this inspire me to make that a top priority!

15. Denise on September 25th, 2009 7:57 am

Hello Mary:

All of your meditations are great! And this nature meditation is especially a favorite of mine.

Thanks for sharing these with us all!

16. Mary on September 25th, 2009 8:54 am

Denise — You’re welcome! This is actually a favorite of mine as well — I really enjoyed doing it!

17. Eleanor on August 30th, 2010 4:07 am

Today I tried to do this meditation while sitting at a park near my home. I imagined laying in a stream and allowing the cool water to wash over my body. Having my body cleansed, I had my body buried in soft mud. Feeling refreshed, I went into a garden to enjoy the scent and scenery of beautiful plants. I have never thought that my imagination can bring to me sensations that are so real, as if I am really bathing in fresh stream water and mineral mud. This guided meditation has helped me strengthen my inner / imaginative senses.

Many thanks for this guided meditation. I look forward to more meditations based on Nature.

18. Mary on August 30th, 2010 9:07 am

Dhiraj, it’s impossible to say if having a teacher or finding your way on your own will work best for you. Experiment and find out for yourself!

19. Mary on August 30th, 2010 9:09 am

Eleanor, It is amazing, isn’t it, how we can create an experience with our imaginations that is so real and gives us much of the benefit of the actual experience!

20. Jodie Underhill on July 4th, 2013 3:18 am

Am I the only person who cried the whole way through the meditation? I work with garbage in India and I am constantly reminded of how damaged our planet is. When you said to imagine water, I saw shit filled rivers with plastic floating in them, when you said earth I saw soil with 6ft of plastic in it. I then remembered so many beautiful experiences of my life before India, walking in forests, flowers, bubbling streams, the bright blue ocean in Thailand and felt blessed for the life I had. I have a great connection with nature and this meditation really moved me, thanks so much!

21. Mary on July 4th, 2013 1:40 pm

Jodie, you are so welcome. I’m so glad the meditation helped you to reconnect with our beautiful planet (in the places where it is not spoiled). Your love of nature is obvious in the difficult work you are doing. Thank you for that!

22. Eric on May 27th, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi Mary – I am wanting to do a nature based meditation for some friends Wed (tomorrow) night, and would love to use your meditation. I was really hoping to find one I could read myself out loud to the group though. Is there anyway you’d mind sending me a transcript of yours? I will certainly give all credit where due and point them to the website for more info. Thanks much in advance.

23. Mary on May 28th, 2014 9:30 am

Eric, glad you are enjoying our Nature Meditation enough to want to share it. We don’t have any transcripts of our meditations. You could always make a transcript yourself, although that’s a big job, or jot down a few key points and improvise. I’m sure you could come up with a good meditation!