Guided Chakra Meditation

November 12, 2007

Our attention is like a beam of energy. When we direct our awareness to some area of the body, it brings energy to it. Our new podcast episode, Chakra Meditation, uses this principle to enliven the chakras, creating a better flow of energy throughout the body. (If you are not familiar with the chakras, or “energy centers” of the body, you can read about them here.)

As you listen to this chakra meditation, you may notice differences in how you feel as you focus on the different chakras. It may be that emotions come up, especially at the lower chakras and heart chakra, or that you notice subtle shifts in energy. Just be aware of how you feel, not trying to change or manipulate anything. Simply having your awareness on the chakra will wake up the intelligence in that chakra so that automatically things will shift in the direction of greater balance.

You may find that some chakras are easier for you to focus on. Some may seem very faint or slip away from your attention and others may be sensed more easily. If you continue to use this meditation, your experience of the chakras will become more clear over time. If you don’t notice anything in particular with you attention on the chakras, doesn’t matter. You will still be getting the benefit of the meditation.

Using this meditation regularly should help to bring balance to life, as each chakra is associated with different parts of the body and aspects of living. Let me know how it works for you!

– Thanks to Barry Stevens for the beautiful chakra image on this post.

Comments

28 Responses to “Guided Chakra Meditation”

1. Nat on December 2nd, 2007 9:54 am

I’ve just found your meditations on iTunes and am very impressed. The first one I did was the chakra meditation and as you said, it was really easy to focus on some and not as easy on others. How often do you recommend doing this one? I’m quite new to meditation and would appreciate any assistance.

Thankyou so much!

PS – the voice used is very calming, a huge bonus!

2. Mary on December 2nd, 2007 10:27 am

Hi Nat,

You are very welcome! In general, it’s great if you can meditate regularly — once or even twice a day, depending on the kind of meditation. You can certainly use any of these podcasts once or twice a day. Try the meditations that appeal to you and when you are familiar with some of them, you may find yourself drawn to certain ones at different times. As for the chakra meditation, probably once a day of that one would be enough. Feel free to ask questions as you continue to explore meditation.

3. Sarah on January 2nd, 2008 2:08 am

Like Nat – I too have just discovered your meditation podcasts on itunes. I tried the Chakra meditation first and as I am a bit of a novice to mediation and spirituality at the moment – I was rather surprised by the sensations I felt. I have just read a book given to me for Christmas, which covers all kinds of things – chakras & meditation is a big chunk of it. I found myself picturing the associated colours with the different chakras and feel this may have helped me visualise. I will definitely be a regular user of this meditation…and will venture onto the others…although I must confess – I am nervous of trying the emotional release one as I’m going through that “rough patch” at the moment, but I know when the time’s right – I’ll see it through.

4. Mary on January 2nd, 2008 9:57 am

Hi Sarah,

It’s interesting to see how people use the Chakra Meditation. Some have added a visualization to it, as you did by using the colors at each chakra. You can play around and see what enhances the experience for you.

As for the Emotional Ease meditation, you may actually find it helps smooth out the emotional roughness you are experiencing. It’s designed to help you be easy with the emotions you are already experiencing and allow them to pass on through. Let us know how it goes if you try it!

You are welcome! Mary

5. Jennifer on January 17th, 2008 12:39 am

My meditations flow so nicely when guided by your voice! I really felt like you were there next to me, because at one point, I was amazed at my paralleled response to your guiding voice—my energy shifted in tandem as you progressed through the meditation, as if I was expecting it! Thank you so much for the experience. It is always a pleasure.

6. Mary on January 17th, 2008 9:40 am

Hi Jennifer,

What a beautiful, thoughtful description of your experience with the meditation! Thank you for taking the time to comment.

It’s amazing to me how we can be so closely connected in this experience of meditation — all thanks to technology and the internet.

7. Todd Finley on January 19th, 2008 1:57 pm

I listen to your meditation podcasts 3 times a day! You have a wonderful voice!

8. Mary on January 19th, 2008 3:36 pm

Wow — 3 times a day! Glad you’re enjoying the podcasts!

9. Mike on April 30th, 2008 8:15 pm

I find your meditations very good, particularly on very busy days when I need to be gounded. Even in busy places, like airports, I switch on headphones with noise reduction and your meditations and find a bit of peace.

10. Mary on May 1st, 2008 8:59 am

Glad you are enjoying the meditations, Mike. We’ve heard from a number of people who listen while they travel. I’ve always felt airports should have meditation rooms available, but sounds like headphones with noise reduction do the trick! Thanks for taking the time to comment. Mary

11. lanang on November 14th, 2008 6:14 am

Hi….
    I just began meditation on specific chakras (third eye, throat and sex chakra). Please let me know how to concentrate on those chakras.
    Thanks
    lanang-bali indonesia

12. Mary on November 14th, 2008 10:03 am

Hello lanang,
    Our Guided Chakra Meditation is a very simple, yet effective, way to meditate on the chakras. You can listen to it on our podcast page.

13. Chrissy on January 1st, 2009 9:51 pm

I stumbled upon your meditation (from itunes) one night when I couldn’t sleep. I listened to the first one. Everyday since I have been doing the Chakra mediation. I am hooked. I feel a little less tense, less anxious, less depressed and feel good about taking care of myself. Thanks for giving me a tool to increase my self care.

With a grateful heart-
    CAM

14. Mary on January 2nd, 2009 11:01 am

You are welcome, Chrissy. Glad you are getting such good results!

15. Kat on September 12th, 2009 8:21 am

This is the 2nd time I’ve used your chakra meditation mp3. Thank you so much! I really enjoy it – I have done chakra meditations on my own, but having your mp3 helps keep my focus and reminds me when to relax, bring my awareness back to something, or move on. Thank you again!

16. Mary on September 12th, 2009 10:58 am

Glad you’re enjoying the meditation, Kat. You are welcome!

17. venkatesh on October 27th, 2009 9:11 am

when meditation want to practice, how long should i practice

18. Mary on October 27th, 2009 1:06 pm

venkatesh, That depends on the kind of meditation. If you have a teacher or take a course, you will receive instructions about that. Otherwise, I’d suggest not spending more than 15-20 minutes at first.

19. Andrew on June 8th, 2010 2:24 pm

Mary,

Thanks very much for this meditation. I have just discovered it, and enjoyed it.

20. Jendra Jarnagin on June 20th, 2010 7:33 pm

The chakra meditation is my favorite. It was really amazing to feel such unusual subtle sensations. Feeling so different than I have ever felt before was very interesting, which has made this meditation profound.

21. Jendra Jarnagin on June 20th, 2010 7:35 pm

Mary,
    Can you do another meditation related to the chakras to give us some variation?

Thanks,
    Jendra

22. Mary on June 21st, 2010 9:20 am

Jendra, it is amazing what we can discover and feel simply by having the chakras in our awareness. Thanks for the request. We’ll consider it in the future.

23. Eleanor on September 14th, 2010 7:42 am

Dear Mary,

When I tried this guided meditation for the first time, I couldn’t sense any subtle energy. I had a big question in my mind, “Where are my chakras? I can’t locate them!” Eventually I gave up on the guided chakra meditation.

Before evening prayer at the seminary today, I had a centering prayer to calm myself down. Suddenly I felt that my lower back relaxed automatically, without my mind manipulating the process. It seemed that I was finally able to get in touch with my second and third chakras. I felt comfortable as my lower back relaxed, and I realized that I have seldom paid attention to the conditions of my back.

Best wishes,

Eleanor

24. Mary on September 14th, 2010 6:33 pm

Eleanor, sometimes there can be a delayed effect from meditations. The intention and attempt to focus on the chakras may have resulted in your later getting in touch with those lower chakras. It can take some time and repetition of the meditation to begin the connect with the chakras and sense them.

25. Eleanor on September 16th, 2010 8:15 pm

Yes, Mary, this is true. In my first chakra meditation, I was unable to sense any energy. But in these few days I felt a stream of heat running through my hands, although the room was air-conditioned.

I had a similar experience when I prayed in the Catholic charismatic groups. The more experienced members told me that it was a sign of the presence of the Holy Spirit when I prayed. As I read about Chinese medical traditions and energy systems, I am not sure if the heat I feel in both of my hands is a miracle from God or simply my energy body working.

26. Mary on September 17th, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Eleanor, Certainly heat in the hands is a classic signal of “energy working”. That we exist, have these amazing bodies with their energy fields, seems like a miracle to me! Maybe it’s not either/or!

27. Eleanor on September 19th, 2010 6:37 am

“It’s not either / or!” Thank you very much for this insight. I often get stuck in this either /or thinking pattern. Your insight has inspired me to utilize my creativity to see more possibilities in life.

Just one more question about the chakra meditation: which chakra is the tongue related to?

In the Catholic charismatic movement, the people prayed using what they called “the gift of tongues”. I had the experience of this “gift” as well. Sometimes when I am deeply silent and centered in prayer, I feel something in my tongue. It moves very quickly if I follow the feeling and allow my tongue to move freely, hence producing some strange noises.

In the Bible, it is mentioned that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us in “inexpressible groanings”. This is the biblical basis that we use to explain the phenomenon of the gift of tongues. However, some Catholics disagree that it is the gift of tongues working, because in the Bible there was a miracle in which the Holy Spirit descended onto the early Christians and enabled them to speak in languages that they hadn’t learned before. The languages they spoke were understandable by their audience. The gift of tongues, as described by the charismatic group members, does not fit into the biblical scene because the sounds produced by the movement of the tongue cannot be understood as a language.

So I would like to know if some people experience such a rapid movement of the tongue during meditation. Perhaps this may answer my questions concerning the gift of tongues.

28. Mary on September 20th, 2010 6:29 pm

This is something I don’t know, Eleanor. Perhaps someone else will!