Grounding Meditation

July 12, 2007

When I hear my husband saying “earth to Mary”, it’s a sure sign I’m not grounded. It’s such a perfect phrase — “earth to…”. Being grounded has to do with our connection to the earth and to our own physical existence. When we are grounded our attention is focused on the here and now. Our minds are coordinated with our bodies. We are more balanced, less likely to make mistakes and have accidents.

There are lots of ways to get grounded. If you’ve become ungrounded because your are over-stimulated and your mind is scattered from multi-tasking and the general fast place of life, unplugging from your computer, TV, cell phone can help. Spending some time in silence helps the mind settle down and brings you back into your body. Time in nature paying attention to the sensations, sights and sounds also helps reconnect us to our bodies and the earth.

For those who are ungrounded because of too much meditation (which makes you feel “spacey”), focused activity can be a great antidote. Doing sudoku or crossword puzzles or something that requires that kind of mental concentration can quickly make the mind more focused. Doing some physical work or household tasks carefully and with full attention also helps.

There are many kinds of grounding meditations and visualizations. One very common one involves imagining your feet growing roots into the earth. Another involves visualizing a line dropping from your tailbone (or root chakra or tan tien in the lower abdomen) straight down into the earth and anchoring it.

We’ve just added a podcast episode which helps you ground by focusing your awareness on the lower body, feet and sensing your connection to the earth. Once you’ve done this process a number of times, you will be able to repeat the process automatically when needed.

What helps you to ground?

Comments

8 Responses to “Grounding Meditation”

1. Huiying on November 1st, 2008 10:00 pm

I am ungrounded by people. I am affected in enclosed space. Does it mean that I cannot take the energy or because I am sensitive to energy?

2. Mary on November 2nd, 2008 10:44 am

Hello Huiying,

To answer your question, it would be helpful to know what you mean by being “ungrounded by people” and “affected in enclosed space”. If you’d like to give a bit more detail, I’ll see if I can answer better.

I can say that there are some people who are very sensitive to energy so that being around a lot of people can be a bit overwhelming because of all the “signals” they are picking up.

3. Tiffany on February 24th, 2009 10:42 am

Modern technology is truly a gift from God! I found your website today after reading on another website about chakras. I did your grounding meditation as I sometimes am scattered, have lower body blockage of energy, etc. During the meditation I envisioned myself down in the warm brown earth, connected and accepted, and it was very emotional. That was a new and nice experience. Thank you. I look forward to more experiences as I listen to all of the meditations.

4. Mary on February 24th, 2009 1:59 pm

How beautiful, Tiffany! You are very welcome.

5. Gayle on April 7th, 2009 12:27 pm

If you are picking up energies from areas or other people, then imagine yourself in a bubble – only good things flow through to you – love, joy, happines etc and any negativity, bad thoughts or those people who enjoy sapping other people´s energies cannot get through to you. Also wear Rose Quartz to protect you as well. These things work.

6. Mia on September 10th, 2010 3:15 am

Hi,
    I spent three years doing hi tech meditation seeking bliss and found myself in a very scary ungrounded place as a result and in bliss all of the time.
    After ending up with psychosis and being in and out of hospital. I have spent the last ten years learning how to be grounded and Nature really helps me with this.
    I do not recommend any sort of hi tech meditation. There is a reason we are meant to go slow!
    Thank you for your insightful ways to be grounded.

7. Mary on September 10th, 2010 9:19 am

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Mia. When we look at how things happen in nature, change is slow and gradual. Our culture, in a sense, encourages us to get on the fast track for everything, so I think you are right — we are meant to go slow. Also, the experience of intense bliss, which so many chase after, is kind of like sugar. A little bit here and there is OK, but there can be too much. And ultimately, it’s not the most satisfying thing in life. Bliss, like all experiences, comes and goes. Being grounded in the here and now is a deeper, more fulfilling way to live.

I have always been very skeptical of “high tech meditation”. Meditation is a natural ability of the mind. I’d rather not tinker with a natural process. The brain and nervous system are so complex. We really don’t understand it well enough to know what the consequences are of manipulating brain waves “artificially”.

8. Eleanor on September 10th, 2010 9:06 pm

After having lessons for the whole day at the seminary college, I would enjoy spending time in silence in the pantry, sitting on the benches at the covered background or walking the labyrinth. It helps me regain my centeredness after all the inspiring lectures which fill my mind with philosophical thoughts. After an hour or so, I can join the Evening Prayer with a focused, quietened and peaceful mind.