On Podcasting Meditation

January 12, 2007

Usually when I lead guided meditations, it’s in person. Podcasting has been a very different kind of experience. In person, I see everyone’s faces, I have a sense of “where they’re at” with meditation, and I can feel the energy of the group and how it’s responding during the meditation. There’s an immediate kind of feedback mechanism. The meditations are created by the consciousness of the group.

When I record a meditation for a podcast, I know its also being created by the group, and yet I don’t really know who is “out there”. It’s been great receiving emails, and they’ve helped me know what people are responding to and hoping for in future podcasts. One woman, for example, wanted some direction about coping with grief, and I plan to focus on that in a future podcast.

I’d love to hear from you — you can leave comments here if you wish. Ultimately I know, however, that even if I don’t hear from another person, we are meditating together in what, for me, is a most unexpected and delightful way. Thanks for visiting and thanks for listening!

Comments

7 Responses to “On Podcasting Meditation”

1. Tomas on January 12th, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi,
    I never had attended a group meditation and though I sense the meaning of a word podcast from the context of your post, but I cant translate it into my Lithuanian. However, I’m very happy to address you. Our correspondence is the meditation via email. It differ from the ordinary in its duration that is much longer than usually.

However, I was a bit surprised by hearing about the recording of the meditation, about the group meditation or about the woman’s request for the meditation on dealing with the grief.
    Are all above possible? I would like to hear more about that.
    I think meditation is totally personal act, but not a group activity. Then it would be the hypnosis, isn’t it?
    You mentioned the request for the direction about coping with grief,
    Is it possible to have such specialized meditations? I think THAT should be named somehow differently. At least I understand meditation as the total identification of self with the spirit. All worries become healed and vanish at the process of the transformation then.
    When we address God all our troubles cease to exist as if of it self…
    What do you think?

2. Mary on January 13th, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Tomas,

Thank you for these questions and comments! We meet so easily in spirit, but when it comes to using words and writing, there is certainly a gap when I write with my language and the background of my culture — USA to Lithuania — let’s see what we can do to bridge that gap!

(Words can be an obstacle! Actually that’s why in some ways I prefer not to write that much about meditation — and yet I do!)

Your comment that “I understand meditation as the total identification of self with the spirit” is so beautiful. For me that would describe a “meditative state”, a way of being, but the word “meditation” also often refers to a practice or technique.

How do we go from not being totally identified with spirit to being identified? There are specific meditation practices designed to bring that about, and sometimes that works for some people, but of course this experience also happens just naturally as part of life and living. Thus, the word meditation can refer to both an experience or a practice. There are many, many kinds of meditation practices.

The experience of meditation is always a personal act, but sometimes a group forms which facilitates that personal act — a group of people engaged in a group process. It’s very common where I live to have these kinds of group. The people may or may not have the experience you are describing while in the group.

Sometimes a group has a leader. I lead what are called “guided meditations” with a group here. Meditating in a group is fairly common here. Guided meditations, also have become fairly popular. These also have become very popular in some parts of the USA. In fact, I have made guided meditation CDs (recordings of guided meditations) which people use on their own.

Guided meditations may or may not be designed to help people experience meditation in the way you are thinking of it. Sometimes they have very specific purposes. The word “meditation” in this case is used very “loosely” (not in a precise way). Yes, I could make a guided meditation specifically to help with grief. It would not be using the word “meditation” the way you are thinking of it.

A “podcast” is an audio recording that can be heard on the internet. You can hear mine by going to this web page: http://www.meditationoasis.com.

Wishing you the best, Mary

3. Lori on January 22nd, 2007 3:20 pm

Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to do this for everyone. People need to listen to your cd’s and podcasts to truly understand what you are all about. I have found them especially helpful for many reasons. The bad thing is that I don’t want to get up and do anything afterwards because I feel so relaxed!

Thanks…Lori

4. Mary on January 23rd, 2007 10:19 am

Hi Lori,

You are so welcome! I’m glad you are enjoying the podcasts.

I suspect if you allow yourself to relax awhile longer after the podcast, you’ll find at some point you’ll just naturally want to get up and do something. We think that if we’re really relaxed we won’t do anything. We’re so accustomed to feeling pressured and associate that feeling of pressure with getting things done. It doesn’t have to be that way. We can be relaxed and accomplishing things at the same time!

Try letting yourself “just be” for awhile after the podcast ends and see what happens. Let me know!

5. Sylvia on January 24th, 2007 1:08 am

Hi Mary!

I recently subscribed to your podcast and I think it’s great! Your voice is wonderful and the music is soothing. I was surprised to find that a guided meditation could be so mind-opening!

Before trying your podcast, I would meditate on my own. I tend to get distracted by the outside noises though. Having your voice and the music on the earphones really helps a lot!I enjoy more and struggle less!

I’d like to make a request: Could you pls do a podcast of just the music .. say 10 or 20 minutes long? I would find this very useful for AFTER the guided part, when I want to continue meditating some more.

Thanks,
    Sylvia

6. Mary on January 24th, 2007 9:16 am

Greetings Sylvia!

Thank you so much for visiting the blog and commenting. This kind of feedback is so helpful. It’s wonderful to hear how much the podcasts are helping you!

We’ll be happy to do a podcast of just music and we will also add more music to the end of the next guided meditation podcast we do. I do want people to be able to continue meditating on their own after the podcast if they’d like.

We also have some guidelines for meditating and dealing with noise on our website which might help if you try meditating on your own again. If interested, you can follow this link: http://www.heartofhealing.net/Meditation/Guidelines.htm.

Wishing you the best,
    Mary

7. Anonymous on January 25th, 2007 6:36 pm

Thank you Mary!

By the way — I recently downloaded a podcast (from Zencast) titled “Meditation Timer (20 Mins). It was 20 minutes of silence with a chime at the 10 minutes mark! (they also have it for 10 minutes and 30 minutes!)

Sylvia